1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just needed a day off

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Oldfashioned, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Threw a sicky yesterday (don't worry moral guardians I'm on supply so wasn't paid) and took some me time.

Working in a very challenging school and I'm just sick of the constant poor behaviour, lack of support, lack of organisation and of feeling like a total outsider in the staffroom. As such, about 5 minutes from home I decided to call in, didn't even tell my other half.

After the quick call I took myself off for a massive cooked breakfast, bought a new laptop (refurbed but new to me) and then went home to an empty house and had a long, luxurious, hot bath. Actually managed to muster a smile in the afternoon and was good company for my partner in the evening.

Back in hell high today but hopefully not for long.

2. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Took today off - felt better for doing so. See what happens tomorrow.

agathamorse, Shedman and Oldfashioned like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I used to have a friend who called such things 'mental health days'. It was common knowledge throughout the school that everyone needed such a day every now and then. We all covered for each other and SLT never asked too closely and no one took advantage.

Cooked breakfast and a long hot bath are the best medicine in existence in my opinion.

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'Working in a very challenging school and I'm just sick of the constant poor behaviour, lack of support, lack of organisation and of feeling like a total outsider in the staffroom.'

The organisation bit shouldnt be your responsibility at least on supply. You have a staff room?! Not all schools do! You might need to put some effort in to break the cliques, hell find some fellow supply teachers and have your own clique in there, if you cant beat em join em! (I sometimes feel like an outsider in the staffroom and Ive worked where I work for a number of years but then I'm a bit of a lone wolf.)

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Worked when I was sick loads of time. No worries about throwing a sickie. In the end of season counting the school always won.

Stiltskin and agathamorse like this.
  6. Aelfric

Aelfric New commenter

We all do it there are just some days were you think sod it. I myself count up the number of PPA’s I lose for whatever reason during the year and have that off as sick days always round up to the next whole day ;-)

7. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I had a crazy NQT year, ofsted all over the school etc, once in a while I would just be shattered and I’d take a day off.

With supply agencies, simply refuse to go back to the school. Actually, tell them it’s taking a toll on you. They’re usually very understanding! Or, ask to work say three days a week there. They will then have to send you somewhere better. I’m supply, as a result of refusing to work in certain areas I’ve now been sent to some excellent schools.

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.