1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just need to let off some steam...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by luvinit, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tell her to look at biomedical sciences - its a 3 or 4 year course (depending on the amount of practical) and counts as at least 2 years off medicine if the student does well and decides to go on...I don't work in secondary but have a daughter who has recently been researching options

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Good suggestion. One of my friends, who is now a doctor, didn't get the grades for Medicine and did Human Biology instead. She then got onto the Medicine course at the same university after her first degree. More expensive, but if it's what your student wants to do...
    Incidentally though, I remember when I did my Ucas applications (yonks ago, admittedly), you were advised not to apply for more than 2 places for Medicine, or Vet Science, because if you didn't get an offer from two you were unlikely to get one from anywhere else on that course, and they didn't want people ending up with no offers at all from six. Is this advice no longer given?

3. Thank you for the reply :)

She was actually going to use her 5th choice to apply for Biomedical Sciences but decided that, after going to the open day, it wasn't the course for her. However, I'll definitely mention it to as her she can still apply for it through UCAS Extra...I think!

4. I think the school advises them to use the maximum of 4 places to apply for Medicine and then use the 1 remaining place for something related to Medicine, but I can definitely see where you're coming from :)

5. chicabonita

I suppose the other alternative is for her to work next year, maybe in a hospital or something related to medicine if she can get it, and reapply; if she has money she could maybe do a Raleigh challenge abroad, or similar gap year scheme. Or even join St John Ambulance, do a first aid course- something like that, to boost her application?

6. chicabonita

*If she ALREADY has money
    Otherwise the year's work, even minimum wage stuff, would come in handy for student life.

7. It's looking quite likely that she will be spending the next year working. She's worked in care homes, day centres, schools and hospitals but all as a volunteer and so she didn't get paid for any of it. She's tried applying for jobs as a HCA or phlebotomist earlier this year but wasn't successful and she said that she doesn't think she'll be able to afford to work for free next year and will probably have to get a job in shop or something.

She hasn't got the wealthiest of backgrounds so I know that she wouldn't be able to afford to do most of the things that other applicants do with their gap year. These days, it seems that everyone goes off to build schools in Africa and the like, which usually involves months of fundraising! I'll look up the Raleigh challenge though, as I've never heard of it before. Thank you :)

8. chicabonita

Now I hope I won't have embarrassed myself here. When I did my gap year, Raleigh ran 3-month challenges (rather than a whole year) but you did have to fundraise for them. But, if it were 3 months next summer, she'd have a year to raise the money. Of course, they may not exist any more!
    I managed to raise £2500 for my gap year, back in 1995/6- I didn't come from a wealthy background and parents weren't actually allowed to give the money, anyway- that organisation was called Project Trust and I'd really recommend them to anyone wanting a year out.

9. No advice on the medicine, but as another former Project Truster I second Chica! However, I've just checked the website to see if they do medicine related placements (which they do), but selection for 2011/2012 finished in March 2011.
    I hope your student gets where she wants to be.

10. Project Trust is something I've heard of and sounds amazing! 3 of my students went to the selection camp on the Isle of Coll but, unfortunately, none on them were chosen to go on the expeditions.

If wasn't married, a mother and also pregnant, I'd quite fancy a gap year!

11. Am I just being thick here in asking why? If there are students out there with the grades, aptitude and ambition to take the courses, there aren't more courses available. Especially as we appear to be constantly whinging that we have to import, Doctors due to not producing enough home grown.