1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just need a moan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by luvinit, Apr 16, 2012.

1. My hubby has been getting more and more "into" fishing. This has involved buying a vast quantity of equipment and going away for weekends to do "night" fishing. I have become a fishing widow and the new refrigerator has had to be put on hold.
    He gets really annoyed if I arrange to do things while he is away, but I've been ignoring that and pointing out that this is the opportunity for me to do the girlie stuff that he doesn't like. Now I have been invited on a girls weekend away - nothing sinister just a silly girlie weekend and he is furious. I've told him that he should go fishing for the weekend and leave me to enjoy myself with the girls.
    That's it ... moan over.

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Go for it!

3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

OMG this really annoys me - why is it OK for him to go off for long periods of time to do what he likes doing, but not you?

What is his objection to your going away? Surely it can't be expense as he has spent so much on his hobby? If it is that he will be left alone - how unfair is that?

Is it that he prefers the thought of you waiting quietly at home like a good little girl whilst he pursues his sensible grown-up pleasures.

What a baby - tell him to get over himself.

ANOTHER rant over ;)

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I totally agree with everything kittylion says, just go and if he doesn't like it, tough!
    As my o/h is working this weekend, you could come here!

5. This is a very accurate description of my life FOR THE LAST 5+ YEARS!!!!!!
    Can you hear me screaming from here? ;-)

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I was going to suggest speaking to Manshee but she got here first!

7. He's away out fishing tonight, as it happens.
    I'm just back from my first day in a new job and only the dog to share it with. I'm practically immune now though. The first 5 years are the hardest, luvinit. ;-)

8. Nearly £300 on new waders and flyline this month alone...
    Am I depressing you yet?

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's the price of a this season's must-have handbag in Russell and Bromley!

10. Ohhhhhh, you have no idea, Belle! I reckon if you add up the cost of equipment, clothing, fly tying gear, the permits (annual and 'one off') and the cost of tootling to and from the river you'd be looking at a few grand a year.
    On the plus side, we had a freezer full of wild salmon & sea trout last year.
    Which was nice.

11. By the time you get to my age and been married as long as I have, you'll be on bended knees pleading them to get a hobby and GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So he wants to go out for his "man's weekend of fishing" whilst the little wife stays at home eagerly waiting the fruits of his hunting?
    Time has moved on since the day of the hunter gatherer. Do what you want to do - he does not control you or your life. What's he going to do if you do go out? Who will he have to show off his catch?

13. Why doesn't he agree? Why furious? It sounds like the perfect arrangement and you'll both be happy doing your own thing luvinit.
    I wouldn't buckle just because he is 'furious'. If anything, your resolve to go away ought to be greater and it will perhaps teach him that his controlling behaviour is not acceptable.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

OK - I might not have read your post properly. Still - you want to go away, you go away. He does not rule the roost, does he?

15. I must point out that my husband is more than happy for me to be as free as a bird while he's away fishing or even when he's not.
    I had a fantastic 4 day trip away to visit friends last summer - he stayed at home and looked after the dog (interspersed with copious amounts of fishing, natch).
    I'm pretty lucky really.

16. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

After many years of marriage I thought this too. The then Mr Kittylion did get himself a hobby - her name was Ellie and he got out of the house permanently lol.
    They are married now. I wonder if she wants him to get a hobby?

17. Brilliant, whacko! I'm emailing that link to Mr Manny right now. :-D

18. Mr C and I have separate holidays. We do occasionally go together but we like different things so it makes sense. I wouldn't dream of stopping him any more than he would me. I think it does you good to have a break from each other. You can have lots of lovely God-I-missed-you-sex!