1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just learnt to ride a bike

Discussion in 'Personal' started by primarycat, May 9, 2012.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Have just learnt at my advanced (40s) age learnt to ride a bike! Can balance now, but still have to crack the steering thing. Still quite pleased with myself though...

2. primarycat

Have just learnt at my advanced (40s) age learnt to ride a bike! Can balance now, but still have to crack the steering thing. Still quite pleased with myself though...

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

yes we had one of these, it was pale blue - I rode it even after I could ride a 2 wheeler.
    My mum can't ride a bike - she never learned.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

I now have the image of Snape and Dumbledore on a tandem...

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Congratulations PC.
    Steering is hard. The worst bits are having to look behind to check for traffic before you manoeuvre and taking one hand off the handlebars to signal before turning.

6. primarycat

Good to know I am not alone in this! As I can't drive either (can swim, don't run!) I have no confidence about going on roads but am aiming in long run to use tow path to cycle to school. May take a while to get to that stage though...

7. I rode my bike every day until I was about 17 and then stopped. The next time I got onto a bike was at Center Parcs and was glad I could still stay on one although steering was a bit dodgy. What was the worst part was my, erm, undercarriage (!). I felt like I'd given birth to breach triplets.
    I got a new bike since that holiday and love it. Yay for cycling and a big 'well done' to the OP for your achievement.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Well done to the OP - quite a feat!!
    My attitude when my two daughters were young was "forget the ballet and the horse riding lessons, just make sure they can swim and ride a bike".
    I am still proud of how quickly and with what enjoyment they both accomplished these two (to my mind) basic and essential skills.

9. can i join please? i held a party when master p reached the wonderful age of 8, at which swimming children are allowed in public pools round here without a pointless non-swimming adult in attendance
    op - i am sooo impressed

10. Congratulations!
    I'm another one that can't ride a bike, can't swim, can't drive and won't run (and in my 40s too).
    I thought I was the only one.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I learned to ride a bike when I was about 5 or 6, and managed to last another 35 years before flying a long way over the handlebars and landing in a heap. Anyway, it didn't put me off, and every time I ride my bike I ask myself why I don't ride it more often. One of the great lifelong pleasures in my opinion - well done to the OP.

12. I thought I was the only one who couldn't ride a bike! I'm pretty rubbish on rollerskate/blades/ice skates too. I learned to swim a few years ago but I would not say I am a competant swimmer by any stretch.
    I always felt like I was disabled in someway by not being able to ride a bike and did think I would want to learn how to do it before I am 40 (1 year and counting grr) but maybe I won't.

I am definitely NOT up for any triathlon unless it's drinking wine, eating chocolate and watching romcoms. Now that's a triathlon I think I would do very well at!