1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just how short is England of Male Primary Teachers?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JonnyEnglish123, Sep 6, 2011.

1. So the statistics are saying that in some areas of the UK male Primary teachers make up for less than 16% of the teaching population, whereas in some there are less than 9%. If you work in a school or are a teacher, what is your experience of this shortage? Thanks.

2. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Out of our ten classes we have 6 male teachers including HT and my good self. No shortange here...and staffroom conversation isn't all shoes and hair advice. I'm joking of course.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Any chance of some hair advice then please, manic?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't say having fewer men means there is a 'shortage'. There are more female than male primary teachers, but I've not noticed a 'shortage' of any primary teachers. There are way too many primary teachers for the available posts, gender ought to be irrelevant.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Quite true.
    There are certain catchments in which male teachers or teaching assistants are desirable, where children may well lack any positive male models at all where there is an all female staff, but gone are the days (if they ever existed) where being a bloke stood you in better stead of getting a job (an assertion that I've always found quite offensive, anyway).
    My school has 3 male teachers out 7 class teachers anyway, so the balance is fairly equal anyway.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Better clarify that I mean male role models, rather than the other sort of male models.
    [​IMG]

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL Well I lack male models in my life....

8. Hi,
    please could you point me in the direction of these statistics? I am currently researching the 'shortage' of male primary teachers for my dissertation. That is of course there is a shortage? Could it be that there isn't a shortgae,suggesting that EY, KS1 and 2 have and always be taught by (on the whole) female teachers?
    Many thanks for reading this reply,
    Mr T
    {:mad:>

9. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

We are a tiny school (33 children in 2 classes) and last year we got a male GTP student.

10. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

1 male teacher out of 12 at our junior school

11. I was a male supply TA and now a RTP {:mad:>

12. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

1 man out of 8 classes and one male TA.
    I find that men tend to attract more men. ie if male head then more likely to be male teachers. Dont know if this is because men dont want to work in all female environment or whether male heads are more likely to appoint men. Certainly my previous head was heard to say he didnt want a 40year old woman for a SMT post and appointed a male. Hopefully he is the exception because he was a total **** in other ways too. 40+ women scared him because they tended to stand upto him, hence the reason he only appointed NQTs too.

13. Whilst training I worked in a school that had all male teachers.

14. In our primary school, we have 1 male class teacher out of 25. Then we also have 1 male PPA cover teacher and 1 male unqualified teacher.

15. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I am in a middle school were it is split 50:50 for both teachers and support staff. The primary school I am going to will have 2/8 male teachers and one male ETA. Some of the new primaries (currently first schools) in my area will not have a single male member of staff! One deliberately employed a woman before the given deadline over male candidates. Goes to prove very much that gender makes no differnce and it is more about the quality of the candidates.

16. We have a male HT and 7 out of 21 class teachers are male. In addition, we also have another 7 male HLTA/TAs.
    Two of the TAs and two of the teachers are in KS1.

17. hya we have 1 male ht, 1 male dht and 9 female teachers and all support staff are female too except janitor who is male x

18. Would love to appoint a male teacher as a positive role model. Sadly all shortlisting I have done in the last 8 yrs has meant I have only ever interviewed 2 males candidates and appointed none! Not due to shortage but just that other candidates have been stronger!

19. It doesn't seem to have changed since I was at school (the 80s) and I always found primary teaching to be a job that attracted females more than males. I had one male teacher at my primary school who was a KS2 teacher, he was a perfectly good teacher as were the female teachers in my school.

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not all male teachers are positive role models.

We have five in our school and two of them are excellent role models.