1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just how inaccurate are the adverts for teachers?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SEBREGIS, Jul 3, 2019.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Could I get some impartial info here?

I'm trying to persuade some folks that the government adverts for how much NQTs can earn are not accurate.

I suspect I am not the only person here who has this view.

Just so it's not simply me telling people this is not true - could anyone else throw in some info about just HOW far from the mark these damned adverts are?

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

As always, it depends.

In theory, classroom teachers can earn up to £65,000, but I have rarely, if ever, seen an advert for a teaching post on the pay-scale necessary. Almost all class/subject teachers are on the main pay scale or the upper pay scale, with a Teaching and Learning Responsibility (TLR) thrown in for good measure if, say, they are head of year or head of department.

The pay scales can be found here: https://schoolsweek.co.uk/pay-scale...ers-in-england-and-wales-from-september-2018/

It says quite a bit that the National Education Union does not publish the leading practitioner scale (the one where, in theory, you can earn £60k+) on its own website.

On the other hand, I did have NQT friends who managed to negotiate M3 for their first post. I've not kept in touch with them, so I'm unsure whether they have carried on climbing the greasy pole.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Putting pay aside. You never see a talented teacher on those ads dealing with the: disaffected, rude, aggressive, lazy, entitled, pompous, and lets face it, nasty individuals! And as for naughty kids!

4. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Do not go into teaching if you want a good salary. Many get trapped on a salary for years at the top of their level - which isn't great. Remember the hourly rate of pay for a teacher is less than nursing and the police.

No bonus pay, no Overtime pay.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

HAHAHAHAHAHA ACCURACY HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA

6. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

It's the photos that are inaccurate as well. It shows the teacher with a handful of smiling, alert children.

7. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

I wonder if these actually influence anyone. Most prospective teachers will have been at school relatively recently and, unless they were exceptionally lucky in the school they attended, they will know the reality is nothing like the photos.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Occasional commenter

I'm sure these ads misrepresent teaching to such an extent that they are actually breaking the trade descriptions act.

pepper5, Piscean1, sabram86 and 2 others like this.
  9. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I wonder if anybody has actually complained to the advertising standards people about this.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

And a teacher who has spakling eyes, good skin, and no bags under the eyes. No signs of stress at all.

pepper5 and harpplayer like this.
  11. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

I don't get to see TV ads these days, but those online ads, full of fresh faced newly qualified young things teaching classes of super well-behaved students so keen to learn in well-resourced classrooms found I suspect only in Private Schools, belies the reality in the UK state school sector, I think.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

They should film the science rooms where there are piles of rubbish piled up the teacher's desk that is usually in front of the white board including 20 coffee cups that have mould growing on them and haven't been washed since September.

The room will be in a state of chaos because the teacher is so stressed out with large class sizes and challenging behaviour that they don't have time to clean their room or take care of themselves properly so therefore end up off with stress and the room gets more untidy as a stream of supply teachers go through it.