1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just how different or similar should I be?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by stumigoo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. I recently applied for a post at a school in China (not heard anything) and have just noticed that the same post has become available at one of their sister schools, also in China. I am going to apply for this position too, but because the application process is the same, and their websites, ethos and practices are identical, just how different should my letter of application be? All the things I said about the first school, apply to the second school, but I don't want my application to be an exact copy of the previous one, incase it may harm my application at both schools. Similarly I dont want them to be too different otherwise this may also harm my application.
    Anyone have any advice or been in a similar position? Better still, any of the SMT folk out there been involved in similar recruitment processes that may pass on some information that might help? Would theses schools share information regarding applicants for the same posts at different locations?
    For all I know I might not be want they want for either post, but still, and help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you in advance!

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

From someone who isn't exactly being inundated with job offers this may, or may not be good advice.

What I would do is just add something in the letter saying This position attracted my attention for precisely the same reason that I would also be keen to secure a position at your sister school ....

Maybe this might encourage them to fight over you and produce a speedier response. Then again, I might be completely wrong.

3. Thank you for the reply. Yeah I will definitely reference the other school within my application, but I looked through the previous one I had sent in, and I am happy with it, so I don't want to change if for changes sake.
    I wish it would start a fight over me, but I doubt that will be the case, ever the optimist though!