1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just having a vent......

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by bigpedro, Dec 6, 2011.

1. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGFGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY THE 8LOODY H3LL ARE MY YEAR 11 CLASSES SO THICK???????????
    Amongst the positively *** things i've had to put up with today are.....
    "is 5mm the same as half a cm?"
    "What tool should i use to drill the hole with?"
    "What should I use to measure it?"
    "Why does the pencil need to be sharp?"
    all this from a lad (all the same lad) who then proudly tells me that he's planning to do joinery at college!!!!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANKS FOR LISTENING!

2. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGFGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY THE 8LOODY H3LL ARE MY YEAR 11 CLASSES SO THICK???????????
    Amongst the positively *** things i've had to put up with today are.....
    "is 5mm the same as half a cm?"
    "What tool should i use to drill the hole with?"
    "What should I use to measure it?"
    "Why does the pencil need to be sharp?"
    all this from a lad (all the same lad) who then proudly tells me that he's planning to do joinery at college!!!!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANKS FOR LISTENING!

3. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

I once watched 1 lad spend 10 minutes (really! 10 minutes) trying to pick a steel ruler up off a bench. I couldn't pull myself away...!

4. I once had a student try and drill a hole through a piece of MDF. She really struggled because she didn't realise that the machine had to be switched on!!!

5. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

In a Food lesson I told one boy he had to wash his fruit. He filled the washing up bowl with hot soapy water, washed the fruit with a dishcloth, drained it, then dried with a tea towel!
    In a Textiles lesson I told another boy to press his seam open. Next minute I could hear him thumping the material with his fist. I hadn't told him to use an iron!

6. kids do the funniest things [​IMG]

7. I once told a Year 11 girl (Predicted a B for Graphics!) to go and get a 45 degree set square - she looked blankly at me then asked: "Is that one of them triangly things?"

It's the Year 10's I'm more worried about - a complete lack of independant thought or even basic logic!
    Here's a recent example. In the first lesson of the week they had to make notes on rough paper during a discussion and then hand them in to me. In the second lesson they had the task explained, then had to collect their notes and type them up. How did seven out of 19 think that they'd be able to do the typing up part when they'd not collected the notes? It took five minutes or so before the first one announced that he wasn't sure what to do...