1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just had thermal hair straightening - love it!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, May 11, 2011.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I have never paid a lot for haircuts, and had given up trying to find somebody that could cut curly hair and make it look good, so settled for many styling products when I could be bothered, and varying degrees of friziness depending on anything from the weather to how I had slept.
    Anyway, gave in and went to a salon here in Korea, and had it straightened. it took four hours(!!!!!) for it to be straightened. coloured and cut. And I love it!! I am so not a girly girl, but after recent weight loss, and a pending return to the UK I thought it was time for an image change. I can't believe I didn't do it before. For the first time ever I like my hair! I feel feminine, and a little short of pretty which is good going for me :)
    Just thought I would post, partly to brag :)-)), and partly to say if anyone else was considering it, for me it is amazing! I have hair I can style!!!!, and love the fact that for some reason it makes my eyes even bluer, thought admittedly that's more to do with the colour, but have had this colour before, it looks soooo different straight.
    The cost may be prohibitive in the UK, I guess I will find out. Here it cost me 55 quid for treatment, colour and cut. A little more in the UK I am thinking!, but I will still do it. It's amazing :)

2. How long does the straightening last?

3. My haidresser was talking to me about this for my daughter's hair, but at £300 it is a bit expensive for a 12 year old :0

4. Doglover, I would've looked askance at any hairdresser who suggested that for a pre-teen. What are these people on??

5. CK, if you saw my daughter's hair, you may understand the problem ;)
    She has very, very difficult hair, and we spend a lot on haircuts and products to try and tame it, with little effect. It needs working with every single day.
    Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely gorgeous, but there is so much of it and it is sooooooo curly and she has such a tiny little face, with masses of hair!!
    It takes me almost 2 hours to straighten it at home, and it only lasts a day, so we don't do it often. The other day getting it cut at the hairdressers, the hairdresser worked on it for almost 1 and 1/2 hours :eek:

6. Ah right. I get it.

7. Doglover your daughter sounds exactly like me when I was that age!!
    Over the years mine has slowly tamed itself, it is very thick but the curls have tamed a little. I used to straighten mine (or rather my mum did til I was about 15) and it took over an hour, but i had it layerd and styled in a way that meant that time got shorter.
    Hopefully your daughter's hair does the same and tames itself!
    My hair is now chin length but the curls haven't got ridiculously out of control and I rather like it now.
    JSY x

8. I am hoping she will eventually grow into it, lol.
    CK, even that all that though, I cannot justify £300 ;)

9. I used to have this done in Japan when I lived there (or something similar-Yuko straightening?) At that time it cost 10,000 yen, which was about £50 then. It was fabulous: my hair looked great all the time, even in the humidity of Japanese summer. I have considered having it done so many times here but have never been willing to pay the price.

10. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I think that will be my stumbling block too :-( I return to the UK on Saturday for the forseeable future, and whilst in Korea it's very cheap, as the other poster said about 300 squid's a lot of money. We shall see if I can find it any cheaper.
    Doglover - your daughters hair is mine. I spent piles of money on products to get it it half way decent, and straightening in it was a nightmare even though it's never been longer than shoulder length, and it always looked just badly straightened. Oh the joys of curly hair. I want those luscious curls people have, but I can't do it and don't know anyone that can. Mine is half curl half frizz.
    I am going to find a Korean bit of London and venture forth, though I suspect their prices will be ridiculously inflated also. For the time being I'm loving it.
    Ooh, one poster asked how long it lasted (sorry, can never remeber names when replying). Well the straightening itself is permanent, so you just have to figure the regrowth factor, and how quickly your hair grows. Just like getting your roots done I suppose but roots need doing soon, whereas if your hair is just wavy then from what I can gather the time between touchups can be anything up to 6 - 8 months. I'll let you know :)

11. Is this how much it is in the UK?? I ask as I was debating getting all of my family and friends to club together and get me it for my birthday in July. I know it sounds silly, but if it would save me an hour and a half a day of taming during my PGCE year, it would definitely be worth it!

12. Fierygirl

Fierygirl New commenter

You could try signing up to Groupon. They do some quite good discounts on straightening/conditioning treatments.

13. I had chemical straightening for the first time while on holiday in China - £80 for the treatment using L'Oreal XTenso Cera-thermic, together with a colour and cut. Since then I've tried a few others back in the UK including Wellastraight but none matched up to the L'oreal. Unfortunately, like the Yuko (which I can't afford to try sadly) it's pretty pricey here; I was quoted £250 in a salon in London. It seems that you get what you pay for.

As an alternative, I've just had a Brazilian Blowdry which de-frizzes the hair and allows you to straighten it much more easily. It's a fair bit cheaper at £120 but you still have to go through the whole GHD rigmarole to get poker straight hair.

As an aside, having my hair done in Beijing was a hysterical experience. All of the stylists and clients came to touch my hair, along with a few random friends that seemed to be phoned to come along for a look at the odd European girl!