1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just had my first Skype interview..

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by v12, Mar 14, 2012.

1. v12

v12

I am sooo excited.
    I've just had my first Skype interview for an overseas job - it was an hour and a half long!
    Wow - I think it went really well as the Principal was so positive.
    I don't think I'll be able to concentrate properly until they contact me with the package details sometime within the next week.

2. v12

v12

I am sooo excited.
    I've just had my first Skype interview for an overseas job - it was an hour and a half long!
    Wow - I think it went really well as the Principal was so positive.
    I don't think I'll be able to concentrate properly until they contact me with the package details sometime within the next week.

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Good for you!!!!

4. mines in ten minutes!

5. v12

v12

Thank you.
    Did you hear back from Bangalore?

6. Which country did you interview for guys?

7. v12

v12

India

8. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Nope, I interviewed about 3 weeks ago, but havn't heard back. Not holding my breath

9. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

There can be such variety with interviews for overseas posts. My last 5 skype/telephone interviews have lasted between 20 and 30 minutes, resulting in 4 job offers.
    I guess I'm pretty experienced though my varied career history would make even myself ask some detailed questions about why it was like that.
    In most cases the 'interview' has been more a chat about 'school related issues' which I think is a highly skilled way of learning about someone rather than 'standard' questions you could prepare for.

10. v12

v12

Funnily enough, this was very much the format of this 90-minute interview.
    Lots about the school and environment and a comfortable chat.
    Received a nice email from the school at 4am this morning - the next phase has been entered, and I now have to speak about the 'package' in more detail with someone who must be even higher the Head!
    Roll on Monday!

11. Hey, Congratulations! Just got a job in India myself. Which city?

12. v12

v12

You first!

13. Mumbai [​IMG]

14. If you're comfortable with haggling, then go for it. I haven't done in the past and ended up getting paid less than people who had less experience than me. For this job in India, I challenged the amount on my contract since it didn't correspond to what was said in the interview and they re-valued it. They are generally pretty flexible but there is always a risk that they will employ somebody who is asking for less. In my current job, a couple of friends told the person who interviewed them that they simply couldn't survive on the money they were offered so the guy just upped them on the pay scale. Maybe worth risking it?