1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just had enough....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by flowerpot, Mar 28, 2011.

1. I feel for you as it sounds like a similar situation to mine. Im sure there are people who can give you a much more positive response than i can, but I tried to stand up to the bullying with the unions support and I have ended up on medication and off sick for months and it seems unlikely I will get anything, even a reference, for my troubles, and even the union seem to have given up trying. As a ups3 I am also faced with no likelihood of another post even if I resign.
    It's not, in my personal experience, a situation you can win in, so get out if that's what you want, as easily and with as little fuss as you can.
    I really hope things work out for you whatever you choose x

2. Depends if you like teaching or not! Do you still like the classroom and your fundamental job of teaching, if the answer is yes then stick with it. As for bravely trying something else, there are no jobs, anywhere. As for young heads and deputies, the good thing about them is that they soon move on.
    So the naughty children play up and end up playing on the computer? Let them! Send the whole class down to the head, not all at the same time, work out a rota of who you want to get rid of for an afternoon [​IMG]
    If the deputy snaps at you & ignores you do not put yourself in a position for him/her to behave like this, just keep out of their way.
    As for the union - why bother? Go to school, do your job, keep to yourself and at the end of the day do a club if they want you to & then go home! Pick up your pay and enjoy life.
    Bullying is endemic within teaching, bullies enjoy hurting people. Ignore them. It is basically jealousy. They are not in every school, there are some great schools out there. UPS3 does not preclude you from job interviews.
    Keep your eyes open for another job (teaching), do not apply wholesale, be selective and keep plodding away!

3. If only it was so simple, Capricorn.

4. I have to echo savannah - it's not so easy to ignore the bullying when it becomes an unjustifiable attack on your competence and by definition, future career. If your face doesn't fit, it's not as simple as 'ignoring it' as many other threads on this forum have pointed out.
    I agree there are few other jobs, which makes it all the harder. I loved my job until it became unbearable. It's not as simple as just finding another these days. At present it would seem to be a lose-lose situation.

5. Neither. You wait till after Easter Hols, go in the first Monday and then go off sick until 18/07/11 with WRS (but not depression). You take nice long walks (possibly ask your GP to put onto your records that travelling is recommended as part of the therapy), have a rest, watch telly, knit, garden, sleep, read, write a book or a blog, etc. And sit back and watch. If things are as bad as you say, the reign of the ht+deputy will not survive long anyway. It might all collapse, they will be gone and you'll still have your job.
    If it's still the case in September, remember that they can ignore or snap at you but ousting you out of a job will take a lot more. You have at least 6 months sick-leave on full pay, quite a lot more after that (just make sure it's not used up by holidays), so I'd just lie low (preferably on the settee... :D

6. Well, it worked for me.
    I was in a no win situation, similar to the poster's.
    I even was mug enough to rely upon
    my union. The time I wasted talking to
    my union rep in the school, the comfort she gave me, the support,
    the kindly gestures. But then I didn't know that she was reporting
    everything back to SLT.
    When I woke up to what was going on, I then took my own advice.
    Yes it was hard and yes bullying is unpleasant, but when you realise
    that there is literally no one who is going to help you and that you only have three choices:
    • leave
    • go long term sick leave
    • ignore them
    then, if you are in for a career, you really do not have a choice, so just ignore them
    swallow your pride, grow a thick skin and get on with it until such time that they either leave or you get another job!

7. Good advice Capricorn, I totally see where you are coming from. As one who is still being bullied and lied to and about after 4 years, however, I find it very hard to clear out those feelings of wanting revenge. I know you are right, but that still doesn't make it ok for the heads and their cronies to lie, cheat and bully. Teaching is endemic with this sort of regime, and it will only get worse I fear.

8. No, it's quite usual. It's called "nurture", one of the latest fads in education.

9. Sadly this behaviour is endemic, certailny within primary education. A previous head teacher told me it was unavoidable in a school as the system breeds such behaviour. Do not bother with contemplating involving the LEA, all they will do is give the whole episode a complete whitewash and you will be still in the school, still being bullied with no recourse to any help.
    What has Ofsted got to do with it? The SLT can justify any & everything they do, they are, after all pushing up standards and they (SLT) are having to deal with intransigent staff who cannot face up to the fact that the low standards, inadequate teaching is the responsiblity of the staff.
    Other options, well, yes, your union! As regards unruly pupils getting to play on a computer, one deputy headteacher was nicknamed "the smartie lady" for the simple fact that whenever a disruptive/rude/unruly/aggressive miscreant was sent to her, she promptly gave them a smartie and sent them back to the class.
    If you have been fortunate never to have been bullied, don't worry, one day you will be and then you can have your own plan B.

10. I am holding my own in this school which is only just out of special measures (possibly heading back there), the kids are generally responding to me well and I literally teach and keep myself in my room for the whole day, do what I have to do then go home. I've had a nice time in my classroom this week, it's the adults that are the problem for me. I don't teach the class with the nutters in but it is so upsetting to see experienced and gifted teachers hounded out because management will blame anyone and everyone else because they can't deal with things effectively. I agree with Capricorn that kicking up a fuss will only get whitewashed over.
    My contract is temporary so I'm looking for something for September anyway but I fear what the nasty duo could do, the dep head is particularly AWFUL. Other staff have been saying how well the kids respond to me, I am more experienced than management and I don't think they like this. Some staff have voiced that I'm really good and this can be the kiss of death in some schools. I get on with support staff, cleaners and caretakers - I don't have my head shoved up my own **** or believe that people who are not in teaching are beneath me. I just HATE what some people in this profession have become.
    So I'm on UPS3 and need a job for Sept...... Could be supply or retraining, but age is not on my side. But then again, another two or three decades of putting up with this and I'll be dead well before retirement. I honestly believe that age expectancy will drop amongst teachers if this bullying trend carries on.
    Staff are ruled under fear and to be in the gang you have to report everything back to management. I can't and won't become that, therefore I do not belon as I can't pretend to respect this management.
    Keeping head down isplan A
    Trying to find another job - teacher or other is also on agenda
    Supply is plan B
    Supermarket job Plan C
    What a **** , 5H1tTE, profession this is.

11. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

I disagree Spool: I think it's been endemic in British education for many years.
    I can recall many years ago when I worked at a certain educational institution that a group of vocational students thought it would be good fun to put some brake fluid into one of their fellow student's car's brake drums.Very funny indeed, because the brakes wouldn't work.Ha Ha,
    Fortunately, the young man didn't have an accident and reported it to the college.
    The punishment meted out to those responsible was that they should go swimming during course time, once a week.
    I think this is a good example of why internal action by heads/principlas shouldn't be seen as a substitute for calling the police.

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I am so sorry to read yet another post on bullying. Teaching is a fantastic profession, but many schools are run by wannabee despots who have the management skills of a dead weasel. Get out before you are driven out and your health ruined. Take care of yourself, because your colleagues won't. x

13. Couldn't agree more!

14. capricorn 1 ---- I like your style!

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

It's sad that teachers have to experience this kind of distress. All my love, Nelly X.

16. I agree Nelly but I am also glad for places like this online so I know that I am not alone, so many comments here sound just like my school.
    I would like to express my opinion but our Head has warned us not to express our opinions openly... (in the past a previous colleague ended up leaving after having an accusation of posting a comment on a website).
    So...roll on retirement...

17. so sorry to hear of all this. It matches my experience too - have been in school teaching 10 years. First five years were essentially very enjoyable if tiring; short break to live aborad with husband on work placement, then back to a fairly OK boys' school part time whilst i did an MA in education ..... but then one year of absolute hell on earth in another school (part time appointment as I was still doing the MA) where there was a terrible bullyingn culture and the boss was trully trully jealous, incompetent, nasty and petty and SMT were all the same (horrible people who acted extremely unprofessionally). Then i did a cover for a maternity leave in a school where again i noticed the same bullying culture.
    i agree that not ALL schools are like this (my first one wasn't at that time at all and professionally i really thrived and enjoyed the job).
    But there definitely is a culture of bullying, and i think teaching is a profession that sees a lot of bullies. It is very difficult indeed to 'just ignore' bullying because it is a complex phenomenon and has a deep impact an all aspects of professional and personal life and for most, 'just getting out' is not such an easy option if they are in a relationship with kids etc or have bought a house etc etc.
    Thus i cannot offer any advice, but i can SYMPATHIZE and say i too have seen the kind of thing you talk of and i do think the culture in schools will often let such unprofessional behaviour flourish. To be honest, i think the people that talk openly and honestly about what it's like are the strong, reasonable and professional ones. It's those that cover it up, or believe their own lies, that are the problem!!

18. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

My advice to any teacher being bullied:
    1] Do your job to the best of your ability. Lessons planned, books marked, admin done FAST
    2] If criticised, listen carefully, do not interrupt. Reply in non-committal mode such as, "It's all under control," "Mmm, you make some interesting points, I'll have to give this some thought..."
    3] Do not agree to any extra work but carry on as before.
    4] If you are really good at something make sure everyone knows...Do all the things to show this off...outstanding pupil work displayed...piece on school website/newsletter...volunteer to do an assembly and do a brilliant one with lots of your best kids involved...at parents evening get a supportive parent to talk to/write to SLT praising you.
    5] in other words dare them to keep up the bullying...they will move on to someone else.

19. butterfly0047

butterfly0047 New commenter

I can't believe the extent to which this bullying is taking place. I have suffered for the last 5yrs and am trying to 'escape',, but being on UPS2 does hinder you!!!
    I tried to visit a new school with regards to a vacancy but he refused, despite allowing other staff to do this. There was sufficient cover at the time and he refused to give me a reason.
    The next day I was sick with an ongoing migraine and I was informed that he contacted the other school and asked to be informed if I visited.
    Surely this is not ethical?? What do you think??? What would you do???

20. I'm in secondary too. Exactly the same situation as you. I enjoy teaching on the whole, however we are made to feel worthless and incompetent if we are asked for help with children who are misbehaving across the board. I have had enough but not sure what I should do. A) Try and find another teaching job
    B) Do something different