1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just had a bump...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by swintonion, Jun 24, 2015.

1. swintonion

swintonion New commenter

Just had a smallish collision with a truck. The truck started to reverse as I was turning left, I tried to get my car into reverse but wasn't quick enough so the truck caught the right hand side of my car and has damaged the front panel . I drive a polo. I hoping its going to be a straightforward arrangement between myself and the company. Now, I've never had an accident before, so I'm not completely sure what to do other than contact the company in the morning. Any suggestions as to what I can expect?

thanks

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Tell your insurer.

Do you mean the truck driver said his company would pay for the repair? Why are you waiting until the morning?

Tell your insurer and see what they have to say.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh. 22:09. Got it.

And?

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Inform your insurers straight away and they will, liaise with the company's insurers, arrange repairs for your car if needed, courtesy car etc. as required. My dad's neighbour's trailer broke loose and crashed into my parked car (nobody in it) the day after I bought it. I had just changed over the insurance to my new car and the lady on the end of the phone was amused but an hour and a half later I was arranging to pick up my courtesy car.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The above is the correct and official way to do things. However, you risk the other driver pretending things happened differently as he/she will lose their NCD if insurers are involved. Quite typically, and unfairly, you will also have your renewal premium upped (as you are seen as a risk). This will happen even if it is clear you were innocent.

So...call the other driver and try to agree a cash settlement. There can be little chance he/she will want to do this if we are talking little money. Loss of NCD (and hiked premiums ) normally mean it is uneconomical for us to involve insurers for less than £500-£1000.

I would get an estimate for repair (2 or 3) and ask them to cover the costs

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

There are risks with that policy Dumpty

Some insurers now will look askance at a claim if they are not informed of the incident as soon as possible.

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

If the truck was owned by a company and the driver was employed by that company, I would imagine that he will have been obliged to let his bosses know, even if no one at the company noticed the damage. Therefore it would be necessary for the OP to inform the insurance company, otherwise there will be confusion and difficulties when the company's insurer contacts the OP's.

A Spanish lorry driver took out the passenger side of my car- it was left completely to the insurance companies, although being a non English speaker did complicate things somewhat.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I heard recently on the radio how Sheila Hancock was askance as to why her insurance had suddenly risen by 300%! She contacted the company and asked why such a huge price hile? Apparently she had had 2 accidents where it had not been her fault and she had not 'claimed' but had notified her insurance company. They said their data 'proved' that two 'no fault' accidents indicated that she wasn't driving as carefully as she might and her risk of it being her fault another time was that much higher! [​IMG] quite a debate about it on the radio, but they advised her to shop around next time.

Story here for those interested. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3139726/Sheila-Hancock-s-fury-car-insurance-rises-873-2-246-one-year-hike-82-year-old-believes-age.html

9. tidal

tidal New commenter

Simple fact is that most insurance companies will try and screw you whatever you do

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Photo's photo's photo's! From all angles and with number plates... the truck driver will probably then hold his hands up... easy peasy, too late if you haven't already done so but always a good idea if you aren't injured or shocked ... good luck!