1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just got Netflix

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Apr 25, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well I am so tired now of reading and watching plants grow in my garden for food.

Pros:
    Not one ad, not even ads for Netflix (Their name comes on the screen as the film loads but that is also very quick, about 5-10 seconds)
    Massive selection
    Has documentaries
    Is surprisingly cheap (Six quid I think)

Cons:
    Hard to navigate
    Does not - as I thought it did - have every film ever
    Seems a bit too American to me and so very, very little 'daring' stuff. Do not mean adult entertainment, more that the documentaries all seem very lightweight to me and 'safe'. I wanted a doc on Cambodia but it sent me to a tacky Asian soap opera.

Verdict: 6.4 out of 10 but for the price and ease of cancelling, worth a try.

Stiltskin and Lidnod like this.
  2. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Just got BritBox and watched the first episode of Dr Who again. How clearly I remember the excitement of seeing it for the first time! Thoroughly enjoying myself. 30 day free trial. Easy to use, UK programmes, many of which I have not seen before or am looking forward to seeing again.

smoothnewt and dumpty like this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Netflix. I love it! Have piggy-backed onto daughter's account, so don't pay.
    So much to watch.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I don't use it myself, butvthe rest of the family seem to think it worthwhile. The Younger Pees use a VPN to watch some of the USA only stuff.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

You have to watch Ricky Gervais' "Afterlife". I have just binge watched all series 2 ...6 episodes for the 2nd time. It is brilliant.

Jamvic, Stiltskin, mathsman and 2 others like this.
  6. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

I can recommend Unorthodox. It’s a made for Netflix drama about a woman leaving a very strict Jewish community. I thought it was very interesting and unexpected

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Same, but rarely find anything to engage me. Loved "Godless", not found much else, at all. I wouldn't pay for it.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Thanks all and yes, any recommendations go for it! It is the surfing that has me all over the place as you think 'mm, that looks good...oh, so does that..'

Lidnod likes this.
  9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Yes I watched "Unorthodoxed" and enjoyed it....

needabreak likes this.
  10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My recommendations are You and Making a Murderer.

dumpty likes this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am frightened I would binge on 'The Sweeney'. Not because of the stories but I love watching when they go outside and the (empty) roads and cars of the time, plus that cold looking mist I remember as a kid.

Does it have 'The Avengers' with Dianna Rigg?

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Not sure of your taste (or if you caught them originally) but I can recommend
    Homeland
    Sons of Anarchy
    Narcos

and a bit of humour
    The Good Place
    Schitts Creek

dumpty likes this.
  13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Staircase ? ( can’t recall exact title ). Yes to The Making of a Murderer . Also documentary about the Olympics , drug taking and the Russian team (google is your friend ) - fascinating. House of Cards, Suits,Designated Survivor and some Australian stuff with a babe in the lead -she is a journalist ...

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends on your tastes, but I reckon Breaking Bad and its prequel Better Call Saul are worth the subscription fee on their own if you've not seen them before.

You've also got Black Mirror, all the rebooted Doctor Who seasons, Red Dwarf, various incarnations of Star Trek, Victoria Wood As Seen On TV, and there's new stuff like Stranger Things, and relatively new stuff like Gotham. A couple of Netflix original movies I've enjoyed are The Irishman (Scorsese gangsters) and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, a quirky western.

Most of the Ken Burns documentary series are on there.

Plenty to keep you occupied anyway.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Watched Breaking Bad , The Crown, and House of Cards but very little else. Loads of rubbish on it .
    Oh and Detectorists :)

warrenrayson likes this.
  16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Oh yes, Black Mirror is brilliant. Like a hi-tech version of Tales of the Unexpected.

17. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

New Amsterdam, This is Us, The Split, The Crown.

Shedman and bombaysapphire like this.
  18. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Not quite the same but there's an excellent documentary series on the Vietnam war. And if you want Cambodia, try First they killed my father - a film rather than a doc but worth a watch.

Netflix is great for the range of stuff it has from all over the world. My current favourite is Tokyo Diner, - only comes subtitled but I really like it. A new story every episode and the only link between them is that they all involve customers at the same diner. Some eccentric characters in it, some strange stories but some lovely ones.

dumpty likes this.
  19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My one complaint about Netlfix is that it got rid of the rating/ review system, so now every film choice is a leap into the unknown. Some of the reviews were quite good for letting me know if the film or programme would be worth my time. Now there's nothing.
    Still - I'd rather have it than not. I've watched loads of good stuff on Netters, some of them real hidden gems.

20. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Not sure if you have cottoned on to this yet, but create a ‘list’ which saves anything you are interested in.
    There are a lot of crime documentaries and dramas.
    I would echo ‘Unorthodox’ and The Staircase’. Also ‘The Keepers’ and ‘Unabomber - The making of a murder’
    There are a lot more I could recommend.
    It doesn’t have many classics when it comes to movies eg Shawshank, Green Mile etc, so disappointing in this sense.
    Also some of the systems are a bit wanting. It is difficult to check back to what you have seen.
    As others have said, for the price, it is a bargain

dumpty likes this.