1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just going to watch ZEN

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I recently discovered we have a channel calle Cinemoi on our tv. It's some way after Film Four on our tv's list of channels and as I never go past that button, I never knew we had it. Anyway - it's very, very good. I've recorded five films so far and can't wait to watch them all. Going to start with Arsene Lupin, which sounds great - it's set in 18th century France and sounds like a swashbuckler - it has Kristin Scott-Thomas and a very handsome chap whosename I can't remember. She plays an immortal, he plays a thief.

2. Different tastes

I like slow

Dont agree with this

Easy watching, nice views, complex story line that was unpicked nicely

Good ending ... leaving us unsure of the truth

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I seem to be watching this again ------------------------- I still think RS is gorgeous!!!!!!!

....and now I have realised that Ben Miles is in it too - always thought he was cute (remember Coupling?)

4. I looooooooooooooooooooove coupling ... have the full set of DvDs

Watching snooker then Ice so ZEN will be +ed

5. I am watching "Zen" for the first time - am totally unconvinced and can take or leave Rufus even though he is very handsome. I've also had a glance at "Among Giants" with the fantastic Pete Postlethwaite so I think I'll settle for that.

6. I am not able to suspend my disbelief that a cast who are meant to be Italian all go about their business speaking English. Some of them affect an Italian accent and some of them, apparently Italian, speak as if they come from the Home Counties.
    There is only the odd shot that is recognisably Rome. There are lots of generic apartments and alleyways which could be anywhere and were probably shot somewhere cheaper. They don't drive Italian cars but Italians usually do. Everyone appears to be having it off with each other. They would do this in Paris but not in Rome, the capital city of Catholicism.
    Apart from that, its super.

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks very much for the tip re Cinemoi, CK! [​IMG]

8. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

I'm gutted that Zen is finished and being replaced with Terry Wogan on Ireland - tragic!

9. Most people don't mind Romeo and Juliet being in English.

10. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

I'm gutted that Zen is finished and being replaced with Terry Wogan on Ireland - tragic!

11. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Have watched all 3 ZEN and they have got better. Sewell is very pleasing on the eye and I suspect he knows it

12. You're right.
    Zen is Shakespeare for the modern age.

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I saw half an hour of Zen last night and thought it was dire. Pretty though he is, RS seems to belong to the suit-pointing school of acting made famous by Robert Mitchum. Looking blank isn't the same as looking brooding or enigmatic
    It doesn't bother me that they spoke in English - that's fair enough. But the woman with the short black bob had such a very Home Counties voice that, like chocolatebox9, I coultn't suspend my belief.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

disbelief [​IMG]

15. She's from Bradford, we all speak like that there[​IMG]

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've seen her in other programmes and she had a different accent. I suppose they got her to have a posh accent as she was meant to be a member of a very wealthy Roman family. They would have given her the same accent if she'd been in a similar role in an episode of Lewis.
    Not sure why the accents are bothering viewers. Would you rather it was in Italian?

17. It would be much, much better for being in Italian.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Well you're all right then, Jack [​IMG]

19. They speak English in the books and nobody complains.

20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Of course,that would mean subtitles. Plus,not sure what the British actors's Italian would be like!