1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

just found out i have cancer.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tryingtoteach, Jul 21, 2007.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

A weekend at mum's sounds just the ticket. Take it easy!

2. salsera

salsera New commenter

By the sounds of it you are all being so very strong.
    It is not an easy road you are on but you are managing the situation. You are going to have your moments of feeling so low. My OH's homeopath has said "let it all at".
    Like I mentioned before he is drinking a tea from the Clouds Trust, having reiki and going to a homeopath.

(((((to you all))))

3. Thanks Salsera for the reminder about the tea - I have just looked up the Clouds Trust. Before making a purchase, could you ask your OH what the tea actually tastes like....medicine? hold your nose job? I am not good with herbals at the best of times (tend to prefer a Tetleys or a latte); however, would obviously do it in a good cause.

4. salsera

salsera New commenter

It's mushroomy and a harmless taste he says (he's not a tea drinker). Not a medeciney-hold-your-nose job!!
    You make up the tea in three 500ml bottles and then mix 30mls with 60mls of water (they give you a little measuring cup) the instructions seem complicated but it was easy to sort and you make up a whole batch for a month. You get the bottles from boots for about £1.50 for the three from the pharmacy.
    They suggest a month's supply first of all and ask for a donation of between £7 - £10.
    He was recommended it by the nurse who visits us who in turn was recommended it by a GP for her husband.
    It's supposed to alleviate the effects if chemo - it might be a load of mumbo jumbo but anything is worth it.

x

5. Salsera, how does your OH find the reki? I have been thnking about having reki myself.

What benefits does it have?

6. Thanks for info about tea. Think I will give it a go.
    Didn't sleep a wink last night thanks to the steroids. Just off for penultimate chemo (number 7). Hoping to be able to go to a spa overnight on Saturday (courtesy of my lovely neighbour), but as I am having a follow up injection tomorrow to boost my bone marrow and last time it made me feel like s**t, I have a feeling I might well be in bed instead!
    Hey ho.

7. tryingtoteach

tryingtoteach New commenter

had my third chemo yestersay. not doing too bad, bit tired and chest hurts a bit when i take a deep breath but other than that ok. how you all doing?

not feeling as low now. staying with my mum still as OH away. missing him like mad. if i felt ok wouldn't be as mad but obviously got lots of time on my hands this weekend. planning on surfing net, reading, watching tv and sleeping!!

whats everyone else up to? i could do with a chat!!

8. salsera

salsera New commenter

Hiya TTT - good to hear from you. Glad you've got somewhere to go and are not on your own.

xx

9. Hey chaps,
    Just here to give you hope..
    Had my second burst of chemo after a recurrence, (second time in a year!) and finally am now back at school and loving it...

Tired as hell but onwards and upwards!

10. Hi TTT 3 down is that half way yet? Well done anyway. I've just had my last round of rituximab and have to wait 3 months for a scan to see if it worked (it's quite slow acting I think). I've been back at work since the start of term and loving it. Mind, that place is like a revolving door for me I've been off so many times, but they always make me feel I'm doing a good job anyway.

11. tryingtoteach

tryingtoteach New commenter

good luck with being back at school. i'm a third of the way there now! 3 done of 12. for all those of you going through this, do you feel like you have ut your life on hold while having treatment? i'm trying to carry on as normal and enjoy myslef but can't help feeling like i'm 'waiting' to finish treatment.

12. Yes, there is a sense of things being 'on hold'. You just have to go with the flow and try to be patient, while making the most of your best days. I learned this before chemo, when I had a virus that affected my joints. For 10 months I could hardly move or even feed myself, never mind attend to more personal matters.

13. salsera

salsera New commenter

Sorry I know that I am a carer but yes I agree, everything is on hold and all revolves around treatment and hospital apps. And all conversations are "after treatment I/we will......."

xx

14. Yes, definitely feels like things are on hold until post treatment - I have just had number 7 of 8 and I have felt progressively weaker each time. I have really tried to make the most of my up days so that I have lovely experiences to remember, but I have also spent a lot of time in /on bed/sofa. I did make it to the spa on Saturday night. It was a lovely hotel but I was somewhat restricted on the treatments I could have - no massage/pool etc. Oh well, I had a manicure, pedicure and good food. Got back about 2pm yesterday and feel like I have only just woken up - it completely exhausted me!

It's amazing to think about all the people on this thread involved in treatment for cancer. I have just started reading a book about complementary therapies and one thing coming out loud and clear is the importance of support groups and sharing thoughts and feelings. So keep on sharing - it's doing us lots of good.

Three down TTT - and hopefully a good weekend with your mum.

How do you guys cope with hearing that you have to have some extra treatment?

TKx

15. salsera

salsera New commenter

My husband has been told there is the possibility of more soon and though I know he is dreading it (and so am I ) I have tried to put a different spin on it and thought that considering his prognosis they would not offer extra treatment if they did not think it was worthwhile, due to quality of life and (dare I say it) cost to the NHS.
    The last batch did some good in that it has slowed the spread and I can only hope that the next lot works its magic as well.

*sigh*

it's just the way I am trying to look at it.

But then I'm not the one who is going through it all and I can only imagine what thoughts go through your minds

My best wishes to you all

((((())))))

x

16. lodhi

lodhi New commenter

post 154,
    I am in a same position. All the eyes are on the treatments and whatever goes around it. It is so hard. I can go out and still find it hard to talk about. Sleep less nights and then at work no one knew what I was going through. I am go glad every one talk so openly here. People are so lucky who can express their feelings. Reading all the posts I do understand my husbands feelings however I wash Everything is normal. My best wishes to all of you.
    Love

17. operation monday!!! arghhhh

18. Best of luck nanglenoo. I quite like that dozy post-operative feeling.

Having done 4 different treatments over the last few years, and knowing I'll have more in the future, I can only second what slasera said about facing more treatment - at least it's still being offered. rather that than the point where I will run out of options.

19. Hi nanglenoo. I'd been waiting to see what happened after your scan. I will be thinking of you on monday.

20. salsera

salsera New commenter

Best wishes Nan. Hope all goes well

xxx