1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

just found out i have cancer.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tryingtoteach, Jul 21, 2007.

1. margey

margey New commenter

hi everyone

Just ready to head off until 2nd August. Glad you could do end of August happyface. Hope you have some nice things planned for the summer and are feeling well. Would you be able to do it Lev after the family has gone back? We could try to plan it for say 30th August and if you are too tired we will think again.

love and hugs to everyone

margey

2. I think august 30th sounds a great idea...all being well
    Lets seize the day!!

It went well yesterday and I received the most beautiful commemorative plaque in memory of all the work I did to set up the Centre.

I made a short speech too: life's too short to iron tea towels!!!

Thanks to all of you for your supportive words...

lev xx

3. tryingtoteach

tryingtoteach New commenter

its been quiet on here for a while. how is everyone?

4. How ARE you, more to the point!? I've just popped onto Health and Wellbeing to see if there are folk in my position and read your thread headline. I am not in your position, it just got my attention.

I am so sorry to hear you're going through this. I've only read the first few posts and your last one so forgive me. I didn't manage to read all 122 pages!

GG x

5. tryingtoteach

hi gorgeousgal! thanks for your message. im in complete remission now so im doing well! my hair is back, short, but back and ive been back at work since easter so all is well with me.

how is everyone else?

6. That is great to hear you're doing so well. A colleague of mine has just finished chemo and has an array of amazingly coloured scarves. I suppose it was her way of dealing with it. Matching scarves for every occasion! Glad your hair is growing back :)

Work must be helping you to keep your mind off things as well.

How IS everyone else?!

7. I haven't seen this thread before, I've just finished reading the whole thing and I've cried so much.

I'm not in the same position, I am very, very lucky- I have never been touched by cancer but I wanted to say that you are all amazing, each and every one an inspiration.

I thought I was having a bad time; I struggle with my family, I haven't found a job (qualified last summer), my boyfriend and I have just bought a house and he is useless with money. All of my friends are engaged and I went to a friend's wedding yesterday which made me realise I will never have a wedding like that because I had to give literally thousands of pounds (that was left to me) to pay off his debts so we could get a mortgage. I was bitter because he has thrown money away for years before I met him and I have footed the bill.

Then I read this thread.
    tryingtoteach, levana, margey, happy face and all of the people who have posted in the last year- you have changed my life, you have made me realise that I have so much.

I'm not particulary poetic but I just wanted you to know that I will remember you for the rest of my life and I really will make everyday count, I used to say "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" and whilst I still believe it, I will now follow it with the immortal words- "Life is too short to iron teatowels."

tryingtoteach- I live very close to you and I am the same age, I wish I could have voted for you to win the wedding! I am absolutely elated that you are finally in remission and I wish you a long and happy future.

Levana- I am in total awe of your bravery, I live in hope that one day I can be half as strong as you. You are so right, no matter who we are or how long we have we should all seize the day.

Sorry for the rather long post- I feel so overwhelmed and completely humbled.
    Louise xxx

8. The morning after, that post seems a little patronising, I really didn't mean to offend anyone.
    Lx

9. I think your posting was lovely, straight from the heart and not a bit patronising.

10. I second greeteaaddicts comment. Not in the least bit patronising. Very lovely post.

11. margey

margey New commenter

Hi everyone

Just reporting back after my holiday. We had a very relaxing time with lots of reading and walking. I have come home feeling really well which is encouraging as I have a hospital check in September.

How is everyone? August 30th will be here before we know it and so we will soon have to plan our meet in London if we are going to do it. Is anyone else up for it?

Looby loo- you really need a medal for wading completely through our thread. Thankyou for your lovely words but we are all on a journey and your problems are different but equally important. I hope you have someone close to confide in. The thread has enabled us all to say things we may not have wanted to verbalise to our nearest and dearest- it has been a real lifeline but you are so right about the preciousness of life. My GP said to me this morning to just go out and enjoy every day.

Lots of love and hugs to everyone
    Margey xx

12. Thank you greenteaaddict and gorgeousgal.

Margey- I was hooked! It took about ten hours but I could not turn away from the computer. I am lucky, I have a lovely boyfriend, he's rubbish with money, acts like a child sometimes and says some really awful things to me when he doesn't mean to (I have fine hair and Valentine's day last year- "I've never noticed before but your eyebrows are TINY, they're hardly there at all!!!" but he is my rock and he puts up with all my craziness, I'd be lost without him.
    I hope you are all enjoying the summer (if we can still call it that!!!) and looking after yourselves,

with love,
    Loobylou
    xxx

13. tryingtoteach

loobylou x a lovely comment, thanku for reading the thread xx it means a lot that it has helped you in some way. it has helped me so so much over the last year x thanku everyone xxx

14. Hi all, welcom Looby

I would love to meet on 30th August, but agree it will take some arranging to see if anyone else wants to. Not sure I've got the 'oomf' needed to sort it out! Sorry!
    Still trying to make the most of each day as it comes. So glad that some of you are heading back on the road to normality. Seems a long time since I travelled on it myself; but I guess life is a learning experience for us all. Glad holidays are going well too. We have had a few glimpses of summer here, but I would welcome a few more!
    lev xx

15. margey

margey New commenter

Hi everyone

Wasn't thinking for a moment Lev that you should arrange anything but was wondering who might still be wanting to meet. At the moment I think it's you, me and happyface. Not sure when your family arrive from Canada Lev but perhaps we can havea phone call if you let me know when it is convenient. Hope the summer weather reappears for you.

I have just had a friend stay for a couple of days which was lovely but a a tad tiring. but wopuldn't want it any different.

love and hugs to everyone

margey

16. Well my grandchildren go back on August 27th so I should be free on the 30th...at this point anyway. I just don't want to lump all the responsibility on you either!!

levx

17. Did we decide on a place?
    Lev where would be good for you?

18. margey

margey New commenter

Lev- my youngest daughter now lives in London now so I will probably come down and stay with her that weekend anyway. Can you manage London in a day or will you stay over?

Love margey

19. Hi Margey, Happyface
    We can easily do London in a day, but could also stay over. Only possible fly in ointment is when I haveto have my tummy drained of fluid...but I will know that well before. London seems the most appropriate central location for me, if it suits you both

lev xx

20. Lev and Margey

London is fine for me
    My email address is mrs_happy_face@live.co.uk
    It will be lovely to meet you both in person.

:) x