1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

just found out i have cancer.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tryingtoteach, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Thanks all for your helpful responses. I'll make an appointment for next week and make sure I badger my doctor.

Yes, they tested for glandular fever too and that was negative. I've already had it (12 years ago) and assume that you can't get it again.

Could it be lymphoma even though my blood test didn't show anything abnormal? (not thinking the worst here, just wondering).

Thanks.

2. tryingtoteach

tryingtoteach New commenter

im not sure, it depends what they test it for. my first tests came up fine but then they look for certain things - dont know what they are lol.

3. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

GTA - I'm ok... just get a bit fed of a life full of high drama all the time and not getting any sleep :( I've put the details on the other thread... My OH is still keeping well so that makes it easier. He's really positive. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you. x

4. There are literally loads and loads of different types of lymphoma and with some the only way they can find out which type it is, is to take a bit of it to test. My dad, it seems has primary lymphoma of the brain. They havent actually got in there yet to test it but all indications are that this is what he has. Nothing has shown in his blood and nothing in his bone marrow. According to the haemotologist lymphomas can start anywhere in the body and often its due to a previous infection that just triggers something off.
    I am glad you are making an appointment but I am sure you will be ok. My daughter has a very lumpy neck which has been like that since she was a small child. A lymphoma will grow and continue to grow. I think it would be very noticable and quite obvious. If it were the worst case scenario a lot of lymphomas are very treatable and respond really well to chemo. My dad's is a bit different due to it being in a difficult to get to spot. The treatment he will need will be extremely harsh due to having to target the drugs to his brain.
    Please try not to worry about it but you make sure that the doctor takes you seriously and eliminates any serious causes. The chances are strong that you have a gland that has grown due to infection and it just hasnt gone down yet. Sometimes they can take ages to go back to their original size.

Take care and let us know how you get on
    xxxxx

5. margey

margey New commenter

Hi Lev

Pleased to hear that they are taking the drain out and putting in the stent. Hope it goes well. Normal sounds good!! We have had a lovely holiday and now it's retirement! I know what you mean about it feeling wierd.Will try to give you a ring soon.

lots of love and hugs

margey

6. Not good news. The cancer has invaded my pelvis; there is nothing more they can do for me. I only have a few more months to live. I am gobsmacked

7. margey

margey New commenter

Lev- there are no adequate words. I am so very very sorry. You have been through so much already. I send all my love to you brave lady and to all your family. Please let me know if you are up to a phone call.

((((((Lev)))))))

8. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

Levana - I'm so sorry. There is nothing I can say to ease your pain - only to let you know I'm thinking about you. If talking on here helps then you know we are all here for you. The biggest hug is coming your way ((((Lev)))) xxx

9. thanks for the hugs and messages; they mean a lot to me. I will try to stay in contact. Margey I appreciate you phoning...perhaps over the weekend sometime?

thanks all

lev

10. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Levana - there are no words I can say but I need to let you know that I am thinking of you and sending you prayers.
    I am so sorry.

Noja

11. salsera

salsera New commenter

Levana, I am stunned and so very sad to hear your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The cruelness of this disease is unbelievable.
    Much love
    Salsera
    x

12. Hi, Levana!
    Sorry to hear your news.

Will be thinking of you. I have followed your post on tes for a while now.

I have experienced cancer myself and have been amazed by your courage.
    Continue to fight!!

Sending positive vibes your way!!

13. thanks noja, salsera and nanglenoo...considering none of you has met me, I am always amazed at the support on this thread. I will never give up and will cling to every day as a precious gift..

lev

14. sorry to hear your news lev, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. (((((hug)))))

15. I've just read your news Lev and I am so very, very sorry. I know there is nothing I can say or do really but I am thinking and praying for you and your family.

With love and hugs and hope

Hxxx

16. I am so sorry to hear this news Levana. Sending you lots of love. Keep positive and keep fighting miracles can and do happen. Make the most of every day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

17. Thanks chocolate and happy face....it is good to be in peoples thoughts and prayers. I went to the end of term department thingy last night and everyone said lovely things about me which was great though a little embarassing.

thanks to you all (and to Greentea) for just being there

lev

18. tryingtoteach

tryingtoteach New commenter

levana x what can i say? you have had so much to deal with and have been so courageous through out. this whole thing is so so unfair. i am thinking of you loads x u have been an inspiration to me through my treatment and i hope we can all help you through this news x please keep in touch and feel free to speak freely on here x we are all here for u x
    massive hug being sent xxx

19. As someone who doesn't post much on this forum, but has followed this thread and your blog, I just wanted to add how sad I also am to hear your news Levana. I know that by sharing your story on here and on your blog you will be helping so many people also suffering with this awful disease. You are in my thoughts and prayers - keep fighting! x

20. hoglett

hoglett New commenter

Levana, I hope that you are feeling okay when you read this. Reading your problems has certainly put my worries (planning last few lessons, marking coursework before I leave...) into perspective! Take care x x