1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just for fun - how would you spend £8.48?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Today I received an apology (and a cheque) from the power company that supplied electricity to the house I moved out of TEN years ago, saying they had checked their records and had overcharged me by £8.48!

So what would YOU buy with £8.48?

emerald52 likes this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Bottle of wine and some Skips.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

fish and chips! (or a more comfortable mask)

Lalad and littlejackhorner like this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I’d buy Julian Lewis an overpriced London beer from the House of Commons bar. What a lad.

6. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

I just started getting paid online to take various tests of websites etc. I usually make $10 which is about 8,55€ per test. I agree with Coffeekid, bottle of wine and a snack. Either that or blow it all on Kindle books. I bought The Colour Purple and The Book Thief recently for 1.09€ each!

Nanny Ogg and coffeekid like this.
  7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Cat food or ice cream.

8. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

A mini bottle of prosecco, bag of Cadbury buttons and a scratch card :)

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

Four lottery tickets and 48p's worth of goods to add to the food bank box in the supermarket. If three of the numbers came up, you could add another thirty quid's worth of food to help out. If four or five numbers came up, I'd talk to the food bank to see whether there's anything other than food they need money for. Five numbers and the bonus ball would bring a million quid. Obviously I'd have to see our kids alright by paying off their mortgages, because charity starts at home, but if I got the six numbers up on my own and won £15m, I'd spend most of it on a technology centre that would give non-academic kids the chance of learning the essential stuff that schools fail to teach these days that will see them alright for the future, so they could be in the same position I was lucky enough to now find myself in, having been educated at a time when education was sensible.

My technology centre would just teach kids the skills they needed to earn a living and for the imaginative, how to use their creative talents to advantage. No boxes that needed ticking, no exams that could be failed. No BS and no government intervention whatsoever.

I reckon a couple of million would be enough to get it off the ground until it was proven to be a success story. The interest on the other £13m would pay for its upkeep, but after a few years, it would be possible to get crowdfunding for the ideas it generated, some of which could be plowed back to give more excluded but talented kids a chance of coming good.

Lalad likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It would probably be enough for a fill up of my little Vespa.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A couple of packs of Korda Kaptur 12 barbless.

nomad likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not having expected it or planned for it, I would bung it in a charity box somewhere.

knitone, Jamvic and Lalad like this.
  14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I was thinking of that too until I saw @Jamvic 's suggestion - but I managed to get the book for £4.99, so the charity box still gets £3.49!

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m impressed.

nomad likes this.
  16. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I do charity anyway. Only have to see something on news, that makes me think, & I'm donating.

Yesterday they highlighted child carers in lockdown ...

17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

A couple of packets of nice ground coffee and some really good biscuits.
    Or I'd save it in a high interest savings account and live off the interest. Yeah, right.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Blimey!
    Well, in that case, I'd spend it on stamps and write to ALL the Utility providers in ALL my previous addresses ever, and demand they reviewed my then account and every payment from me, and send me all over-payments immediately, threatening a surcharge from myself if this were not handled by a specified deadline..
    Then I'd come back on here a month or so later, and start a thread called "How would you spend sixteen thousand pounds?"

Lalad and Doitforfree like this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A tailored suit from Montague Burton's, a night out at the music hall, a hansom cab home, and tuppence change for the street urchin who begs outside the ale house. Capital.

20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Or @sbkrobson you would be back weeping because the utility providers worked out you owed them thousands - with interest...

sbkrobson likes this.