1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just finished PGCE & job secured for Sept, I'm required to go in for 3 days this term , should I be paid?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ido-ilearn, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I have just completed my PGCE - yippppeee!

I have secured an NQT post for September and I have been told that I am required to go in for 3 days to meet the staff, children and parents - should I be paid for this time?

If so, nothing has been mentioned regarding pay, has anyone any advice about how to broach it?

Thanks

2. I have just completed my PGCE - yippppeee!

I have secured an NQT post for September and I have been told that I am required to go in for 3 days to meet the staff, children and parents - should I be paid for this time?

If so, nothing has been mentioned regarding pay, has anyone any advice about how to broach it?

Thanks

3. Sorry, don't have an answer but have been wondering the same thing about INSET days I have been asked to attend before September. I want to ask but don't know how to do so without sounding cheeky lol, hopefully some 'Tessers' will have an answer for us [​IMG]

4. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

From memory- and we are going back to 2002 here- when I had a similar situation, I don't recall getting paid, but I did get travel expenses.

5. Ha! Well travel expenses would be ace, considering I am flying from N.I to England with the not-so-budget-budget-airline Ryanair!

6. Apparently some of the other PGCE-ers who have a job lined up, have been told by the schools that they are being paid for these such days...but it was volunteered, no one has had to ask yet....!

7. I think it is just travel expenses that get paid for you. I'm in a similar position, and I'm wondering how to ask if there's any cover work I could do without sounding like a cheeky little oik lol

8. Was in school on Thursday and the Headteacher said I am being paid for 3 days (I am in for 4 INSET days and one morning for 'class swap'). Not quite sure how she decided on 3, but am more than happy with that, and thankfully, I didn't have to ask, she brought it up!

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Entirely depends upon the contract you have agreed to. Please in future do not be naive and do discuss salary at interview- that is one of the main reasons to meet face to face. In some places there are early start arrangements where you work as a supply teacher for July and paid accordingly. Contracts can start august so you get a paid summer. In other schools no such luck- the school should confirm your appointment with a letter that spells out these arrangements.

10. Thanks @welshwizard for the advice. I previously worked in public sector where contracts are sent with the offer letter and signed before you set foot in the door, I find this system bizarre. Everyone on our PGCE seems to have experienced the same vagueness, with the paperwork promised sometime later; verbal acceptances and trust are all you seem to be able to get. "The contract is standard and will start on 1st September" was the response I got when I asked - this is fine if you already have seen this standard contract - but not so for an NQT.

11. @irasor - I have had to supply my bank details now "for my first pay cheque" she said - sounds promising!!! In my interview feedback they said they liked my "direct style" - so hopefully they will forgive me my "directness" next week when I ask!

12. I did a good deed for the school and have got one in return.
    I live 10 mins away from my school so i go into 1 or one half day a week to help out.
    I do this for my own benifit as well as the schools.
    I'm also doing supply while before i break up for the summer.
    I've learned loads about the other staff, got free things from teachers who are leaving and also had the chance to meet most children. I've also built a great relationship with the other teacher in the same year group.
    In return the school has given me some direct supply so im earning aswell.

If you live far away or have other commitments i understand its not ideal but i've learned loads even if i have given away free labour. I've made a good impression anyways. Just hoping i'll get the support i need in September now.