1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just double checking...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Deirds, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I am thinking of applying for permanent posts again.

Am I correct that if there has been a long gap (10 months) I'm ok to apply to one of my supply schools?

(Slight silver lining to no work..)

2. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

It all depends on the contract the school has with the agency. Generally, the "finder's fee" is no longer binding after 6 months.

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Thanks, Fraccy.

4. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

It is an interesting question, if you are not working on a long-term posting with a school, but visit on day to day or have worked at the school on a short-term contract in the past, I cannot see how an agency can claim a fee. In that considering the number of schools a supply teacher may visit in a normal year, it would be impossible to administer.

I always thought that the fee was if you was either already at the school on a temporary contract or if the agency put you forward to the school for the post, again I may be wrong. If I have been to a school and I see the school advertising for a post, I am interested in, I apply anyway without any consideration for the agency, because they treat us in the same way.

Ps Deirds Good luck and I hope that you get the job.

wanet likes this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Thanks history grump

It is a school I really like for the brilliant building (rare to have a well-designed school). It's a bit distant, however.

I did have the opposite experience where I saw a job I liked the look of but was put off by the distance. Agency sent me there the next week. A lovely school but I couldn't do that distance long term.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes Deirds....all the best for getting the job. Let us know how it goes.

7. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

The agency can claim its finder's fee from the client school for up to six months since you last worked there, not that they would know far less sue for breach of contract.

8. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

Yes, I do not see why not.
    Very sensible suggestion I feel.
    People always leave full time posts for supply thinking the grass is greener. Of course it is, but only up to a point.
    I do not think that poverty is necessarily unstressful, and with the competitive supply market out there it is becoming more and more a situation so many find themselves in.
    Best of luck to you, It is good to see someone with a sense.

9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just to be clear I didn't leave permanent work to lead a stress free life as a Supply Teacher (as if ) but to care for my disabled son nearly 20 years ago.

I do Supply work hopefully as a stepping stone to more secure work but at my age and with a lack of recent teaching references it may be unfeasible.

Still, no point in being permanently down - schedule hope in for a couple of days a week...

Spent part of yesterday in an infants class - work is picking up... ( Small school - I was the 3rd Supply signing in from a 3rd agency. Agencies must be running short of people as well).

10. WillyDjangoReinhardt

WillyDjangoReinhardt Occasional commenter

Good luck Deirds. I am also planning a return, sent my first app in this week.