1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just cut the grass and the birds are singing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Could spring be here?

kibosh and lindenlea like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

My grass is still flattened from all the rain and few hard frosts we've had. I think it may snow later.
    But it's nice to hear that Spring shouldn't be too far away!

kibosh likes this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I heard the dawn chorus yesterday!

kibosh, Lascarina and lindenlea like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Bit nippy here but the pear tree buds were fat enough to tempt our pesky squirrels. HOWEVER - the fruit tree trunks now have their peppermint scented collars on and fingers crossed that will put them off.

We're leading a walk on Wednesday and the forecast is not great so when i told the pub there would be about 20 for lunch i think I should have said about 6. :(. Ah well, we walked it yesterday and it is a good walk with places to make short cuts if it's really dire.

Our grass could do with cutting but I'm concentrating on digging over the borders first. Husband may be inspired though. I love it when the borders are all dug but it's blooming hard work.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Is this something one is supposed to do? If I dug over my borders I'd be digging up all the hidden plants that are waiting to spring up and surprise me.

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I mean to get out there this weekend.

7. grumpydogwoman

Raking up any remaining dead leaves perhaps???

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We have had glorious weather this past week. But today back to rain, wind and bitterness. Yesterday we were in t-shirts (out walking in the sun) and on Saturday I spent a good few hours in the garden: blissful. I get so excited at this time of year, when the promise of breaking free from winter's clutch seems tantalisingly close.

cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I had a long walk in Kew Gardens this morning. There were masses of spring flowers and the magnolias and camelias are in blossom. The sun was shining its heart out. A complete contrast from yesterday when I walked along the river from Richmond to Ham House and back and thought the bitter wind would slice through me.

kibosh likes this.
  10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

All we have are some brave little snowdrops and daffodil spears poking their little heads up. But I love it. I've started clearing away old vegetation in anticipation of all the new growth and looked through my collection of seed packets . . . . .I was drooling. This will be the first time we have experienced a full growing season living in this house and we do have a fair idea of what to expect now.
    Last year was mostly a process of discovery. This coming year I have PLANS.

cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ooh, I do like plans! I have those sometimes. They don't usually come to much but they are such fun to make.:D

cissy3 and kibosh like this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well i think I've remembered where things are. Don't scare me!!!

kibosh likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

Ah. Plans!

Most of our plans involve knocking things down or replacing things.

kibosh likes this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

We moved here in July so I don't know what spring loos like here. Bullfinch back today though after many, many weeks.

On the other hand though my ducks are avoiding me today. :(

16. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I have major plans all of which require me to do some serious digging first. I've created two new borders, as yet unplanted, and have two more to go - for this year!

kibosh likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Cut the grass yesterday. Got a green bin full for collection tomorrow. I think this is the earliest I have done a first cut in ten years!

kibosh likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

I don't do digging. That won't happen.

Sweeping.

I don't even get the leaf-blower to play with. It's very noisy and I'd probably break something. Or break myself.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Leaf blowers are silly. They just blow the leaves from one place to another. We need a leaf hoover.

kibosh likes this.
  20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My lawns are too soggy to mow as yet and it has just started to rain so I think it'll be a while until my gardener can do them. They look so overgrown and tatty :(.