1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just curious - what is bullying?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by NobodyKnowstheTrouble, Jul 28, 2015.

1. NobodyKnowstheTrouble

NobodyKnowstheTrouble New commenter

I was wondering whether one would consider this situation bullying or just normal for an NQT year:

I was a bit overwhelmed first term teaching across KS3, KS4 and KS5; in fact, I was ultimately asked to submit my lesson plans for one class every week and was observed every week. This went on for all of Spring term. It was helpful but towards the end, most comments were minor and it was quite demoralising and frustrating - in passing, I did mention to my NQT mentor who was surprised it had continued for so long. It was frustrating at times, but in retrospect, I wonder if that is bullying?

I did pass both my probationary period and NQT, but it was annoying at times being micro-managed at all times...

Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No it isn't bullying. Whether it's normal for an NQT year I can't say, and you haven't really given enough information to judge whether it was reasonable. But it isn't bullying. There's nothing to suggest that they were doing it cause you harm and distress or victimise you.

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I would agree with RW on this. It was an annoyance for you and also an inconvenience but not bullying.

As you passed, congratulations!!

Welcome to the mad world of teaching! [​IMG]