1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just curious - A2 tutorials advice

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by sabrinakat, May 1, 2018.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Just curious, if you are tutoring an A-level that is essay-based and you are marking essays, do you look through at a tutorial or look at beforehand/mark outside of the tutorial and if so, do you charge for that marking if done outside of a tutorial.

Thanks

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I don't tutor an essay subject, but I have sometimes marked complete past papers outside the main lessons and then provided feedback in the next lesson.
    I think this depends on what the tutee needs. however if the main focus of the next lesson was going through their essay and this was likely to take up most of the lesson, then I wouldn't charge as would consider the marking time to be my lesson preparation time. If the student wanted written feedback only and wanted to cover something else in the next lesson then I think that I would charge extra for marking.

3. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Most of the time I mark students work actually in the lesson. I may set the student a short task to do while I am marking. Instant feedback on work handed in is one of the main advantages of private tuition - they have enough hand in the essay and get the feedback a week later at sixth form.