1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just completed PGCE, losing hope of securing a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by 24061107, Jun 27, 2019.

1. 24061107

24061107 New commenter

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice or reassurance.

I've just finished my PGCE and I'm really struggling to find a position at all. Am I too late for September? I'm in Lancashire and there are literally no jobs advertised with the council in my area or anywhere local. I'm joining a supply agency but as a single mum I'm so worried about how I'm going to manage from one week to the next. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much, Lucy xx

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes it is getting late for September appointments most planned appointments are made in early summer term. However vacancies can occur at any time particularly to cover maternity or sickness. Be clear about your travel to work area as opportunities for primary are very localised.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Some years ago, I had to move from South Cumbria ( actually most of my teaching practice was in Lancashire!) as it was impossible to find a job-one post attracted over 400 applicants! So its not an easy area to find work. All you can do is be flexible, scour the internet as well as the local authority job sites and sign up with as many agencies as possible.

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Don't lose hope. I didn't find my first teaching job until 2 weeks before the autumn term began. Luckily it was at the nicest school in the area and only 5 minutes drive from my home. I taught there happily for many years (until I decided to move to a different part of the country for family reasons). Keep on looking. There's still time for something to turn up unexpectedly.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't despair!

I once appointed a NQT on GCSE results day, and an excellent appointment it was too. Why she hadn't been snapped up long before, I don't know, but it was lucky for me and my school.

Just make sure that your application shows clearly just what you have to offer a school, and be flexible, as @welshwizard says, in the area you are prepared to work.

Best wishes