1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just called in sick, school made me feel worse. Why do I feel so guilty?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ilovesooty, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Exactly. Switch your phone off and concentrate on getting better.

2. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Out of interest -head or secretary you spoke to?

3. 1. It's not your fault if you are ill. These things happen. A school is an organisation well-prepared for occasions like this, they will even have insurance to cover the costs of your cover (now I bet you didn't know that! :) )
    2. No one will thank you for passing your germs on, so please keep them and stay at home. It is very irresponsible to go in and spread germs, people may have young children, elderly and frail dependants, etc.
    3. Enjoy the time at home as much as you can. Eat nice stuff, watch all the telly you never get to watch otherwise and chill. :)

4. No doubt you were asked to set work too. This is disgraceful harrassment. Keep a note of the details and date. Don't feel guilty. The person you spoke to certainly should.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This is why I always get up early and phone in before 7am so that I get the answer machine and leave a message. I email some cover instructions to the TA who sorts that out for us and then go back to bed.

6. I used to do this, too! Set the alarm clock to 6.00 a.m., phone in, then switch phone off and go back to sleep until 9...[​IMG]

7. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

We have to phone in after 7.30, but before 7.45 :(
    Not that easy when you are being sick :(

8. ilovesooty

Usually not until the third day of absence.

Doesn't alter the fact that the OP can't help being ill.

9. ilovesooty

In my job we have to ring into the office and also speak to our line manager. Ringing in sick while teaching was actually easier...

Hope the OP feels better soon.

10. fantastischfish

I hate the fact that you always feel you have to 'sound' ill; even if there's nothing particularly wrong with your throat, you have to put on a fake croakyness because otherwise there'll be talk of, "Well she didn't SOUND ill...."
    "What's wrong?"
    "I've broken my leg and am in A+E waiting to be given critches"
    "But you don't sound ill...."
    "...."

11. fantastischfish

*crutches, obviously.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

When you go back OP make a point of visiting the person you spoke to on the phone and coughing and sneezing enthusiastically all over them!
    And don't go back until you're better.

13. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Brilliant :)
    Incidentally, we don't have insurance for this. They were trying to cut costs. Big mistake.

14. We also have a 10 minute window in which we have to ring in sick!

15. Primary or secondary? What if the phone is engaged?!

16. Primary. It isn't the school number it is the Head's number and you have to ring between 6.30 and 6.40 [​IMG]

17. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I've got a question related to absences. One of the departments I work in has a calendar on the pin board so people can write on when they are off on interviews, courses or have medical appointments. I've noticed that my name is the only name appearing when I am off sick. I've had eight days off sick since September due to various nasty colds and coughs (which I have to be careful with as I am asthmatic). Should I question why no-one else's name is written on when they are ill or should I keep my mouth shut?
    One of the reasons I think I've been so ill is because I work across two departments and move classrooms every lesson - very stressful when you have to leg it from one side of the school to the other!

18. Inky, read up on your school/local authority's absence policy and make sure you know where you stand. Speak to or e-mail the area union rep/official. Your school rep. should know how to contact them. Let them know that this meeting has taken place and that you didn't get forewarning to take someone with you.