1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

just calculated my annual earnings-now I feel like a failure.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cleocleoteacher, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hi all

I wish I hadn t calculated my annual earnings as I ended up feeling like a failure. It was about £1000 less than last year. The actual amount is probably fairly good considering the hours you work of supply and does include a holiday job I have too. But its what a graduate would earn as my hubby helpfully pointed out and what I earnt as an Ñ15 nine years ago.

I know it s silly to be upset as I knew it was a pay cut when I chose to do supply but I prided myself on earning a good 2K more than it actually worked out to be. I am 31 and just feel i ve gone backwards. I know I shouldn t base my self worth on my earnings as I am happy and have a lovely life but really struggle for money at the moment. Now I know why! I know plenty of people who earn a lot more than me but work silly hours are miserable and don t have much time to spend with their children so I know happiness is more important. But I cannot seem to get out of this mind frame. Help me to please.

2. Well my supply earnings combined with some freelance work totalled £5k after my accountant put a further £2k through as expenses. I only ever wanted to work part time but my previous job, non teaching for a few years in a career break, was around 20k for 4 days worked over 3 days with a chance to clock up lieu time off, 5 weeks holiday, flexibility to start and finish as I needed to and to work from home too. I was pushed into supply really as I couldn't get another non teaching job due to lack of experience and couldn't get a teaching job due to time out despite being an ex deputy head. Our household income has dropped but hubby is earning more a decent wage than minimum like he did. Luckily we bought a house at the lower end of our budget and we were saying yesterday that although we don't have the disposable cash we used to meaning no holidays and luxuries the 'recession' has effected us less than most. I am now on maternity leave waiting on the arrival of daughter number 2 and it's rediculous that I had to start maternity 10 weeks early as I get more guaranteed money than I was getting on supply. I have a fixed income at least til March and it will average similar to last years earnings with all the stress of wondering if work would turn up. I really need to look for a job after Xmas but no idea where to start. I sympathise with you.

3. Hi, it's hard when you get into that mindset. I have to really work at not obsessing about money- or the lack of it- and what I used to earn in a former life before teaching. 2 points which might help a bit:
    Lots of people in industry/ professions are having to accept serial paycuts of around 10% in order to keep redundancies at bay. This is happening in unexpected places like architecture where they train for 7 years to get qualified...
    Many graduates can't get a job at all at the mo and have to work for free as interns to gain any kind of work experience record. Helpful hubbie's comments are neither relevant nor helpful IMHO.
    So, don't beat yourself up about earning less- you are working and earning, presumably doing a job which fulfils you. I am practising cultivating a civilised attitude to money- you're right about happiness and all of that- but it's very hard if you compare to others. The trick is not to- set lots of goals and mini-things you want to do. Then do them. You are free, most people aren't- enjoy yourself and forget about 'priding yourself' on your earnings. Hope this helps , it works for me.
    I'm just finishing off a craft project outside in the sun and then I'm going to take my lovely silly dog for a walk. We'll visit my parents, have a quick coffee in the garden and then home for lunch. It's all good. When I had a 'high-powered' job I used to dream of this kind of lifestyle...
    Good luck and have a great summer!

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I know exactly how you feel. My annual salary became very apparent to me after a recent tax claim. It was several thousand less then I had roughly predicted and I feel very undervalued.
    The result being I am now applying for jobs outside of teaching I would previously rejected because of the pay. I'm taking the rather stubborn attitude if teaching doesn't want my skills and experience maybe someone else does.
    Yes. I'm still more then a little "cheesed off" about it.[​IMG]

5. My total earnings for the period April last year to date are precisely zero. Even following the advice of the Jobcentre to offer to do voluntary work to gain experience of other things is ridiculously expensive, what with police checks and insurance. True, retraining is available, at a cost, if you have about £10k to spare, that is.

6. The way I think about it is what I lack in monetary earnings, I have gained in other ways which are far more important to me since leaving my full time job last year:
    1. Greater flexibility over my workload-no silly managers piling work on me at the last minute that had to be done yesterday and I can choose a) where and when I work (e.g. if I'm doing something on a particular day, I can say I'm not available that day). b) which courses I do (I can stick to A-level psychology instead of vocational courses or lower school subjects totally irrelevant to my skills and experiences) c) most importantly, if I'm tired and want to go shopping one day instead of doing PPA I can do so without feeling like a truant because I'm not subscribing to a 24/7 work culture.
    2. Freedom from Bureaucracy and BS-As a supply teacher (when I did it), I came in, did my hours and agreed PPA, got paid and went home. Anything else was subject to my goodwill and negotiation for more money. The school or college couldn't say 'it's part of your contract/non directed time or within the 'reasonable hours' clause to me! Nope, I'm just the supply paid on an hourly/daily basis. If we didn't say it was part of my remit when I first joined you and you're not paying me more for it, then I'm not doing it!
    3. More time with friends and family and better time when I do because I'm not stressed out with demands from silly bosses! If a place is that rubbish, I can leave with only few days' notice!
    4. Because of 3, better health which makes me better in the classroom (more rested, ehtused and creative about my teaching)!
    5. No JSA and visits to the jobcentre or gaps to fill in on my CV while I look for a perm position where I'll be happy!
    6. Better preparation for job hunting as I can 'try before I buy'. I.e. Find out what a school or college is really like to work for before applying for a job there, so that's heartache and money saved on fares, stress etc. Also, talking to consultants is good practice for writing personal statements (can pick up all the 'buzz words' which will look good and feel less nervous when talking to people in interviews as I have had practice in selling myself in a less formal situation).
    7. Lower travel fares which means more money for more important stuff like work clothes or little things which make me happy!
    8. Happier family and friends because you're all making happy memories!
    PS. Suggest to your hubby (nicely) that as he was so impressed with what you used to earn that it may be a good idea for him to do your old job! [​IMG]
    HTH

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

5 years ago, when I was not even on the top of mainscale, I managed about £24k in one tax year from supply earnings. For the 2011/12 tax year, I managed under £4k, despite being available and ready for work most days of the school year and despite having done two training courses to be able to offer two more subjects to GCSE level.
    I can't and won't compete with Cover Supervisor rates of pay and so I resigned from my LA agency and triggered my pension early.
    I don't think that supply teaching is sustainable any more. For the most part, those who get regular bookings are on NQT rates or lower and will see no improvement in pay as the years go on.
    Those who currently get LA supply rates on M1 and M2 will notice that their bookings diminish as they progress up the payscale.

8. OP - My earnings are also a big fat zero for the year (August 2011 - July 2012). Overdraft approx.£1,000 welcome to the world of the modern teacher! just thank God you have earned any money this year!

9. I remember going from £21k to about £4k to about £200. Living with my parents, waiting for the phone to ring, filling in application forms, waiting, getting miserable. Chasing agencies, PLEASE PLEASE, ANYTHING!
    The best thing I did was stopping it and taking control over my own future, rather than relying on others.