1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just booked to go to Poland

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jun 22, 2015.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

October half term. Tychy, Silesia for 1 week. First weekend watching hockey the rest of the week having a tour round.

Anyone been there? Or got any suggestions? Mrs B already has Auschwitz on the list!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I haven't been there but have been to Gdansk and Wroclaw. Although Poland is often depicted as dour and forbidding in an Eastern bloc kind of way there is some beautiful architecture and lot of interesting history. The food is incredibly cheap and tasty. Customer service in some of the shops is a bit hit and miss, I think some older people are still hanging on to old ways, ie if you want it you will wait for it, and some shops are still run on 1950s lines with all the stock in drawers behind the counter. The younger people are much more outgoing and friendly. Look out for cheap colourful tights and gloves for Mrs B if that's her thing.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

I have been to Wroclaw and enjoyed it. The outskirts were a bit Eastern bloc like but the centre was beautiful (if compact). I was there for work but nonetheless had spare time to enjoy myself. They did these chocolate covered plums that were quite tasty, in small doses. Food was cheap.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Thanks Guys.

Tychy is right in the South so Gdansk may be a bit too far for a day trip. We have been looking at the shops and restaurants online. They seem to have a big thing for Italian, loads of those. Tychy also has 2 Tescos! The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the Tyskie brewery and the tour there is highly recommended on trip advisor. We are about a 30 minute walk from the ice rink. There is also the Copernicus Observatory and museum not far away. So the week is filling up nicely. However any more suggestions welcome.

Back in the 80s a colleague drove there is his Morris Marina, back then they were still communist (Poland and British Leyland). Every time he parked it gathered a crowd around it, they had never seen such a technological marvel!

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There might not be many Poles there, most of them live near me.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps I can do a bit of plumbing on the side?

7. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Quote - blazer: Back in the 80s a colleague drove there is his Morris Marina, back then they were still communist (Poland and British Leyland). Every time he parked it gathered a crowd around it, they had never seen such a technological marvel!

(don't post often enough to learn/remember how to quote - sorry)

We towed a caravan from Rotterdam (ferry) to Poland in 2002 and what an experience it was! Coming into Poland from the Berlin area they still had the old concrete tank roads that Hitler laid (this was the main road into Poland!). We travelled in convoy with another British family who were going to the same event and we couldn't travel faster than a maximum 30mph because the uneven slabs of concrete shook the caravans to bits - mirrors shook off the walls, fridges departed from their housing and the water pipes shook free and caused a flood after we arrived!

When we parked up for food we too were surrounded by Poles who were fascinated with our caravans having not seen their like before.

On entering Poland there were prostitutes stationed atregular intervals leaping into any car or lorry that stopped. On the way out of Poland at the border there was a huge line of beggars that went from car to car begging, including one poor man who looked as though he had his legs on backwards ..................

There were tin shacks in the towns where people lived on the pavements and when we arrived at the campsite the Swedes amongst our party were so nervous they literally chained their cars to any posts/balconies/rails outside restaurants for fear of them being stolen. They had brought the chains with them from Sweden for the purpose...........

There were armed guards at the campsite and at every supermarket car park BUT, having said that, we passed many lone children walking in their swimming cossies to the water park along 'country' lanes. Either they felt very safe or were taking chances.

It was an amazing experience that I'm very glad we had and the Polish people (who were also at the internation event we were attending) were lovely though very badly paid :)

No idea how much has changed since 2002.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A lot has changed from what I can gather! I went to Gdansk about 5 years ago and saw nothing like that although we did fly there and weren't driving in the countryside. We visited Sopot on the coast but went on the train.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Near me i have the population of Bulgaria and Romania.

10. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

If you have the camp on your list, you are not that far from the salt mines near Krakow, they are well worth a look. The caverns are beautiful, and considering they were carved by the miners not stonemasons initially they are outstanding.

Also, if it will be hot, the temp down there is lovely.......(I was there in the height of summer so to be in the cool (under 20 degrees C) mines was heaven!)

MF x

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Thanks,

We shall be there in October but I bet the temp will be the same below ground.

Nearest big town to Tychy is Katowice (about 1 hour away) Krakow is nearer 3 hours away by car.