1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just been inspected under the new framework...

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Baggy1980, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Yes thank-you. I have printed off your mantra
    and stuck it inside my drawer. Next time
    I feel like walking I will read it. Thanks again
    for those words of wisdom they really helped.

2. Oops, I have 2 kittens who are fascinated when I type and try to help, I thought I had corrected most extras, but I see not !
    Very sorry, but they are distracting and more fun than assessments, which is today's paper work exercise..
    Miaow miaow [​IMG]

3. Excellent...glad it helped...write back if more motivation needed, I have plenty..

M [​IMG]

4. Well the dreaded phone call came yesterday and they will be with us on Wednesday . I work in the Early Years from Foundation stage to year 1 / 2 . What are the inspectors actually looking for in these departments ?

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

In EYFS, a balance of adult led and child initiated, vibrant learning environments, assessment which informs the planning. parental involvement in assessment, the outdoor learning environment, continuous and enhanced provision etc,key safeguarding policies and risk assessments, all the legal stuff in the statutory frameworks.
    Throughout school generally safeguarding safeguarding and safeguarding, followed by attainment - progress is less relevant now!
    Looking at specific groups of pupils, eg FSM, travellers, looked after etc and making sure their attainment is equal to the whole school community. And of course everyone's attainment should be above average (work that one out mathematicians!) Community cohesion is HUGE too and governance is a biggie. Very best of luck! Remember they will be gone in 2 days and life goes on!

6. Hi, I'm just off to zzz, but if you read back through this thread there are some very good indicators from teachers who have been recently ofsteded. Follow some of the links and this should give you a better idea. Re EYFS, there are a few extra things they are looking for this time, so check out those requirements also.
    Good luck
    M

7. Thanks so much for getting back to me on this . I have calmed down and had a good read and feel ready for their arrival .

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Best of luck for tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

9. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Good luck to all being inspected. Keep us informed, you'll be fine.[​IMG]

10. Thankgoodness its all over , I am so exausted . The inspection went really well , we will get the written report in a few weeks but they have verbally said that we are good .They did ask quite a lot of questions on health and safety in the early years department but we sort of knew they would and we were prepared for that . i am now going to have a well earnt glass of wine .

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Good for you! Well done!

12. Well done....a great thing to remember is how quickly it's all over...enjoy Christmas now and what a fabulous present...to have goods...no mean feat these days...
    M

13. Satisfactory used to be good enough. The thought of 3 old f***s who haven't been in a normal school for years (if ever) destroying the morale of a school is terrifying - good teachers going under, staff illness etc. They're in the area and it's already getting to us. I'm not sure I want to go through it again. I am reckoned to do a reasonable job, even good, by those with whom I work, but who cares? Who worries about teacher health and safety?

14. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES!

15. Well we got the report - NTI.
    Amazingly we are inadequate with outstanding features - anything relating to attainment is inadequate or satisfactory, everything else is good or outstanding.
    What a ridiculous system. I could understand if we were rubbish but all the grade 1/2s show that we are not. Yes we know that attainment needs to improve and already have things in place to do this. What is the point of giving us a label?

16. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Snap, jellytot.
    The whole system is pointless (unless the point is to demoralise teachers, of course).
    Now we've got week after week of observations, goalposts relentlessly being moved by SMT (eg: we want creative curriculum working walls up by Weds - on Weds then told must have a Reading Corner set up by the following Weds - even if it means a whole change of classroom layout - now Guided Reading has to change). I'm all for putting new things in place - the old way obviously wasn't working - but there's no space to breathe, time to embed all the new ideas. The children are getting quite overwhelmed, bless them.

17. Dave1C

Dave1C New commenter

Ditto - value added above average but a below average intake means low attainment.

Recruiting more able students is likely to be be a far more effective way of obtaining good or above than improving teaching and learning.

18. I agree Dave1C, it appears that our inspection experience way back in September is being mirrored everywhere.

Allegedly Ed Balls was asked a question on this very topic at the SSAT conference last week, and said that schools in challenging circumstances could still get "good" or "outstanding." I for one fail to see how without getting attainment above the national average.

He did say that the new framework was still in its infancy. That is of no comfort to those who have to sit for 3 years with (what I feel) is a grossly unfair judgement.

B

19. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Indeed - including people like us, now under a NTI facing observations every two weeks by SMT and no-notice drop ins once a term by the HT and DHT.

20. It is never a good sign if we feel we would have to rush around and change how things looked or what we were doing because we thought we are going to be observed. If we can see how appearances can be improved, why don't we improve them now? If we can see how to improve what we are doing, why don't we do it now?
    There are schools in which there is a culture of continuous improvement. In such schools Ofsted is not something that is feared. It is a chance to have the good work of staff endorsed.

The key to it lies with school leadership (as always).
    Two specific things to point out:
    1. Someone on the SLT is trained up to understand how inspection works and manages school monitoring and evaluation activities, ensuring that teachers are sure about the criteria by which a school is judged.
    2. Heads of subject have a well-developed quality assurance role. They organise criteria-based lesson monitoring so that everyone has a chance to evaluate everyone else's lessons. They take the lead in ensuring that subject improvement plans do just that.

Good schools do this. Less good schools worry about being caught out.