1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just been inspected under the new framework...

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Baggy1980, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I agree Baggy, I genuinely believe in standards and good education for all but it seems results cannot possibly be 'OUTSTANDING without selection. This means certain schools/Sixth Forms & Colleges will suffer as a result of social factors and not being 'selective'. At my college we as a staff are dedicated to achieving brilliant results for our students but we are not selective at all and proudly and very often successfully take students other colleges wouldn't for level 1, 2 & 3 programmes. Although that in theory can mean brilliant value added, there are a lot of students who leave because they would rather (for example) go full-time at Argos than complete their courses. This means success rates then become affected because retention can be variable. OFSTED don't like this! We genuinely try and retain and help all of our students achieve but students have their own mind and this can be difficult to change at times. As with all educational inititives and frameworks I am sure it will go full circle again and before you know it we will have a single school inspector popping in for a quick chat, a current bun, cup of tea and a look at our registers!

2. what kinds of daily and weekly risk assessments do i need to be recording in a reception class ?

3. musodave

musodave New commenter

I have been through FOUR inspections now. Misery. I am Australian and could not STAND being so subservient to the opinionated inspectors. Well I go back to Oz every year for a holiday and my mates tell me I deserve the V.C. for endurance.
    I applied to independent schools in 2005 - I am a music teacher- and got a job. Boy am I glad to put that pain behind me. I am a better Dad/husband/mate/teacher/musician...get the picture? No guilt!
    I fought the good fight in poor schools with 30-40% SEN for fifteen years. I am telling you - it is NOT WORTH it long term. Who is this for? Children? What a joke!

GET OUT AND STAY ALIVE!

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You need an overall risk assessment which you do at the beginning of every term. Basically a check of the room and the outdoor areas and an assessment of any possible risks. You then need a weekly checklist - eg, sand and water tray cleaned and disinfected (we use milton in ours), no slip hazards, climbing equipment checked, no pushchairs blocking fire exits etc. It varies from setting to setting.

5. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

We were just inspected andour report actually states that "the school must start comparing itselfto national averages with more vigour instead of using similar schools". They weren't remotely interested in the fact that we have attendance figures and end of key stage results that are way above simialr schools. They only cared that we were at National averages at end of KS1 and 2 and so we have to be graded a 3 for attainment, meaning that teaching could only be graded as 2 even though most of what they saw was a 1 and there was no teaching graded below a 2.
    They praised the progress from start of FS to end of Year 6 describing it as "beyond outstanding" but pointed out that under the new system it carried little weight and that we needed to pay more attention to attainment rather than progress.
    Honestly- if this continues, who will want to work in any school with EAL pupils, large numbers of SEN pupils, children from very poor or difficult backgrounds?

6. Can someone tell me where I can find the criteria they assess you against in lesson observations? I have been out of teaching for a few years and my last OFSTED was in 2002! We expect to be done soon as schools in our LA who were last done before and way after have already been done and we are the only school still waiting for the call.

Hope someone can help!

7. Just wondering whereyou have moved to

8. Abroad. Email for more details...

9. Re. Ofsted Inspections and inspectors. When they talk to you about data and come up with an assertion/conclusion supposedly based on some kind of analysis LAUNCH IN AND CHALLENGE, ask them if they have carried out any of the 3 standard tests on their assertion, those being: ceteris paribus, ad reductio, ockhams razor! if the reply is a blank face they are clueless about data analysis and conclusion formation, Science teachers and Mathmeticians should be all over them, do it in front of witnesses, keep a report, send it to the head and governors so they can use it in their briefing and debriefing sessions with the inspectors, let the inspectors know that the quality of their inspection is being monitored by all staff, the head needs to keep a record of these and if he/she is unhappy let the Head of Ofsted know in no uncertain terms. Suggest they read Dawkins on belief/fact/analysis of data, if they cant back what they are saying objectively BURY them and send them packing! The name of the game is you go home calm they go away so stressed and challenged they wont want to come near you again. Go to it to many lives have been ruined by these numpties!!!!

10. rachsecret

rachsecret New commenter

My school was also done 14th-15th October. Here a few of my thoughts and tips for those of you who are also due (apologies if any of this is 'old news' to you):
    <ol>[*]Some really great sources of information and types of evidence they are looking for in the following zipped folder. </ol>

11. I have followed this blog since it started and posted a rather trite early response about leaving a sinking ship to go where I am more appreciated...
    Then I thought, why do we do this to ourselves,? Presumably a majority of us joined this profession for the right reasons and not to find fame, fortune and money....unless you know something I don't! I AM appreciated...by the children currently in my care and it these children I work hard for.
    I realise that many teachers are stressed and anxious about ofsteds, but it really is only for a day or two. I am talking myself into visualising myself as a lionness , protecting her pride at all costs!
    This means that I must remember to enjoy every day I am teaching with my lovely class of gorgeous children. I must not spend every waking hour worrying about the next ofsted. The head gets paid to do that. This is one good reason why I opted out of the management level, I didn't want to hunch like Linus, over a hot pc, inputting data.
    I remember the days when advisers came in, got to know us and the children and offered advice, then came back to help if necessary. Now they are SIPS and rarely visit the classroom and don't know us or the children. I know longer care as they only ever stay a year, two if they are truly mad! I used to want to let them know all about my innermost thoughts and share the classroom/dept successes, until I realised they only pay sipservice to it, being hungry to return to the head's office to peer at his figures and evidence etc.so they can report back and input it all on a big brother web somewhere in the ether.
    I know an ofsted inspector, a friend's husband.He is an ex IBM consultant. He suggests to his wife that she wipe the skirting boards with a damp cloth, preferably on a Thursday so the house is nice for the weekend! I KID YE NOT!!!
    I think that being stressed and worrying all the time may largely have something to do with temperament and circumstances. I really do feel for friends and colleagues who suffer about being observed. But........
    ....remember...you sailed through teaching practice, sailed through the job interview and are successfully teaching every day! Somebody somewhere, several times thought you were outstanding enough to be selected...and the kids probably love you.
    I am a veteran of 4 ofsteds. One of those deemed my department to be outstanding and a beacon for the school . The next one suggested it was merely good. So, I am the same teacher, with the same TA in the same dept, with the same practice and the same enthusiasm on a daily basis for wanting the best for my children. I keep up to date, I take onboard new initiatives if they contribute to my teaching and have a great relationship with the parents and all children in the school. So.....
    ....they moved the goal posts. I was never much into football so I have decided to ignore the goal posts since they are no longer in my line of vision anyway and keep telling myself that the children in my pride are getting a good deal and are lucky to have me...whether I am good, outstanding or fair to middling according to an ex IBM ofsted inspector !
    Thank you to everyone who posted advice and links on here, I have found them useful, because I am not daft enough to ignore the new requirements. I will dot my i's and cross my t's in preparation.
    Colleagues...enjoy half term and remember " work to live, don't live to work" .the weather is glorious here in the South, get out there and relax! I am cleaning windows, so can now see more clearly :)
    M

12. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

post 113 rachsecret- sounds very very similar process to ours. We found it a fair and rigorous process. Lead Inspector very fair. Grades limited by end of KS data as only measure of impact, thus work put in and smaller steps of impact not acknowledged- though of course will have end of KS impact in next couple of years.

13. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Thank-you Aphrodite1952, you have restored the remainder of my mo-jo, bring on Monday and bring on actually doing the job I love.

14. Just been done. Our team was on the whole good and the lead inspector actually rather nice and very fair.
    Some questions to consider...
    How is progress measured and monitored by...
    • a teacher?
    • a line manager?
    • SLT?
    If they ask each of these people they must be able to answer properly. Try asking every member of staff!
    Specific groups - as far as I could see if your data manager produces some charts/data analysis of identified groups as progressing then you'll be OK.
    Results - there's nothing you can do about them and if they are below average, then, no matter what, they will bring you down to at least a 3. If they are consistently below (3 years) it is automatically in a category spec measures/notice to improve. If it is less than 3 years the capacity to change must be clearly shown.
    Community Cohesion - your students must be exposed to the school/local/regional/national/international community in some way and you must prove this impacts their views. A good citizenship programme with lots of application should do the job.
    Consistency - they want to see it in all aspects across the school.
    [​IMG]

15. Hi, This sounds so unfair. I work in a newly founded KS3/4 PRU and will no doubt get inspected very soon. We are really in 'setting up' stages and would welcome any advice as to what we need to get in place ready for inspection, we have no governing body etc etc. Please tell me what EYFS stnads for, not used to all the jargon (see i really do need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Pinkpoodlebear

16. Hi, EYFS is Early Years and Foundation Stage.

17. Stevek

Stevek New commenter

We had our inspection immediately before half term. I agree with some of the other posts here - the team were very fair and, unlike last time, they were prepared to listen to what we had to say, providing we could back it up with evidence.
    They really appreciated having all the safeguarding stuff in one file and didn't spend long looking at it but did ask governors about their role in ensuring the safety of pupils. There is a useful set of questions that comes from the ofsted website listing what they might ask governors and they stuck fairly closely to that.
    They also spoke to children about feeling safe in school.
    There were lots of lesson observations and they gave constructive feedback which was appreciated by all our staff. All in all this was a much more positive experience than we had expected!

18. Thanks for that long post Aphrodite; I agree with you. The thing that worries me is that if there are any major criticisms of the school; SLT will probably blame us the teachers and I can just imagine the pressure becoming even greater. The thought of that really worries me!

19. Hi Bob...how was today?...find any Mo Jo [​IMG] ?

20. Hi Fiona,
    Yes I can quite understand that...however my very strong feeling is that SLT should be aware before hand and indulging in the blame culture after the event is a weakness. If you have everything you should have in place, with regards to school based, required paper work and you are teaching to the best of your ability, then all should be well. Keep up to speed with all ther little nuances each team requires...very good posts on this thread...and make sure you're covered. For erxample, I have been told I don't need a ssafeguarding policy for my dept as it's covered in the child protection policy, but I'm intending to produce one anyway and have it tucked in my file...just in case. As I say, I'm dotting i's and crossing t's as I go...feeling on top of things...quite extraordinary so far into a term...
    I also record answers to questions and add as a running commentary in my personal planning folder, dated and will indicate it is merely for my information and furthering of professional practice...[​IMG] but actually am trying to cover myself.
    Don't forget how good you are at your job, I bet your classroom is vibrant and exciting..and the children are enthusiastic learners.
    M