1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just been in to our re-vamped Morrisons....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I was exactly the same when I discovered that the Morrisons near my mums had been revamped! I agree the fruit and veg section is amazing! We spent ages just looking round at what they had. The fish counter is the best of all our local supermarkets too.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

The Morrisons near us is particularly dire (by which I mean even worse tham the ASDA)

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

We eat fresh fish once or twice a week from our local Morrisons. Very fresh and some great offers - my fave is whole gilthead bream when they are on special offer at £2 each.
    Salads and fruit can be pretty good too. Nice breads which are well wrapped.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The Morrisons near us is also dreadful. The produce, whilst wide-ranging, is of poor quality. The bread, also poor. When last in there, the fresh in-store baked bread had been packed in its cellophane packets whilst still red-hot, meaning it steamed itself soggy. You could see the condensation on the inside of the bags. How anyone could let that happen is incredible. No brains on the bread counter that day! Whilst there was a fresh fish counter, what was there wasn't inspiring. The whole fish had that more than a few-days-dead look in their eyes and the skate had the tell-tale ammonia smell about it.
    I'm sure it depends on the individual store, but on my experience, I'd rate Morrisons towards the bottom end of the supermarket range in terms of quality of fresh produce. Certainly below Tesco and nearer Asda. Maybe below Asda. Although I'd consider going again if they have had a revamp nationally. The adverts are quite annoying mind. Pannneeetooooneeee, etc.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I think this is true of every supermarket, not just Morrisons. Also true of any chain store.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have a relatively new Morrisons locally. The fruit and veg and the fish counter are excellent.

7. I think you may be near me! Revamped Morrisons opened this week, they sell things like samphire, mooli and a million types of mushrooms and chilies now. Very special displays for herbs with dry ice (?) blowing over them. It rocks.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Unless there are several re-vamped Morrisons this week I think I live near you too. I'm not sure what the cold mist blowing over the vegetables was but it all looks very exciting.
    I only went in for a loaf of bread and came out with yellow chard, plantain, candy beetroot, salsify and fennel. I was tempted by the samphire but I will be eating out at the weekend and didn't think it would keep, also it was from Israel rather than Norfolk.
    I will have the plantain with a fry-up for breakfast and might cook the fennel with lamb although something vegetarian would be nice so my husband can have some. I've no idea what to do with the salsify or candy beetroot though, any ideas?
    By the way, Morrisons car park is still a nightmare, that's why I usually go to Sainsbury's.

9. Often the exciting exotica is only there to lure better-off customers to a new or revamped store, then it is withdrawn . When a new Sainsburys opened in Leeds , there were ostrich burgers and alligator steaks and Jewish kosher food. A month later the gefillte fish was in the bargain bin.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Well they have invested a lot in these cabinets with the cold mist spray system, it will be wasted on potatoes, carrots and turnips. In any case, I often find Morrisons to be better at stocking the slightly more unusual items including 'ethnic' foods so I hope it continues. I'm looking forward to trying more of these things and said so to the manager who was standing nearby.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If that means you're in Leeds it's not the same Morrisons.

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

Hatch Warren I presume? I know it well, but it's long way from you!
    .... or go to the one by me and drop in for coffee/wine!

14. The local Morrissons at home has a fabulous fresh fish counter.
    Usually, we go to Aldi and get the rest at Sainsburys (step-dad is quite set in his ways) but I always get him to drive me to Asda at least once, as our Asda is great! For bits and bobs we sometimes pop to the Coop.
    Have never been to Tescos.
    Why does Asda have a bad reputation?
    I am no longer au fait with what the "reputation" of each chain is. When I was a student, Sainsburys was for people with money and we all felt really grown up if we had saved up for a weekend food orgy and spent our pennies there (divided up between the 5 of us down to the very LAST penny, of course).

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I don't think it has a bad reputation as such, more that it caters for a different sort of customer than the ones that offer better quality produce. There is fresh meat and veg there, but the quality isn't brilliant and neither is the range. Price is the draw in Asda - people shop there because it's cheap, rather than shop for quality. In many stores the majority of what's sold will be frozen convenience food, stuff in jars and highly processed stuff. There's an enormous one not far from us and when we went in there whilst passing I was immensely depressed to not b e able to find a decent loaf of bread there, despite there being two aisles of bread.
    It is good for cheap clothes however, particularly kids' school uniforms or for clothes to wear to work, and the booze is getting much better there.

16. Yes, I stock up on kid's clothes and work's clothes there (7 quid for a pair of trousers for work, which are fine, fit well, look good? Not going to say no). Don't buy booze, so no idea about that.
    But I also buy food there and it is fine (no idea about bread, Dad buys that whereever he buys his bread - I think Sainsburys, but not sure, it could be Coop - he has his little rituals).
    I have to admit, I find UK supermarkets quite confusing - they are so big, for a start, and there are soooooooooooooooooo many different brands of the same thing. We do have hypermarkets here, but not that many, and most of our supermarkets are still quite small, so you tend to buy your fresh meat and fish elsewhere and veg at the market.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ahhh...........now that sounds promising!