1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

just been diagnosed with pcos

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by LittleBrownBear, Jun 19, 2011.

1. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Hi,
    I have finally been diagnosed with pcos at the age of 33, although I have alwyas suspected I have had it since I was about 18 and I have had most/ all the syptoms. Have been tested a few times (blood tests and an ultra sound) but they all came back negative. Finally had an internal scan and low and behold, I have been proven right! I do feel like a huge weight has been lifted as I know what the hell is worng with me but I am a bit worried about what comes next.
    I have the goatee chin that needs "dealing with" twice a day, I had really bad acne when I was 21 which is when my weight ballooned, but acne is gone now. I am slightly overweight (need to lose about 1 stone to get me into "normal", but have always struggled, despite eating healthily and being active! Now I know why!, My periods are regular, the odd hic up but generally ok, heavy one month then really light the next, but now I get a mini period every couple of weeks, my hormones are all over the place though and my self esteem is rock bottom! I had depresseion at uni and I think I am a bit boarderline now. I am now absolutely paranoid about my hair thinning or falling out tho, so much so I am checking everyday. I have long, very thick, naturally curly hair which is my pride and joy. I really couldn't cope if that disappeared or started falling out. Does this happen a lot?
    Also I have had 5 smears come back "boarderline changes". Noone seems bothered (except me!) so I am having smears every 6 months. Is this related to PCOS?. My next one is Aug so if that comes back the same I will demand further investigations!
    I have my first gyne appointment in a couple of weeks. What should I expect? Will they give me drugs to help the hormones/ hairy man chin? Can I get lazer treatmnet on the NHS? What drugs are the best for the hairy face? I can cope with everything else but the hairy chin is getting me down (it stops me going out) & I really don't want my hair falling out.
    This sucks. I wish I had pushed it more when I was younger. It's so hard. My younger, model sister is getting married and here am I with a hairy chin, hormones all over the place and I am having dental treatment for florosis which will include having to wear a brace for a few weeks and a bleaching tray for 20 hours a day, I have poor eye sight, bad excema and am chubby. No wonder I am single. I am ugly betty. Could be worse I guess, but please god, not my hair!!
    I have read a few posts on PCOS so I know there are lots of us out there.
    Ho hum, back to dealing with the hairy chin!

2. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Hi,
    I have finally been diagnosed with pcos at the age of 33, although I have alwyas suspected I have had it since I was about 18 and I have had most/ all the syptoms. Have been tested a few times (blood tests and an ultra sound) but they all came back negative. Finally had an internal scan and low and behold, I have been proven right! I do feel like a huge weight has been lifted as I know what the hell is worng with me but I am a bit worried about what comes next.
    I have the goatee chin that needs "dealing with" twice a day, I had really bad acne when I was 21 which is when my weight ballooned, but acne is gone now. I am slightly overweight (need to lose about 1 stone to get me into "normal", but have always struggled, despite eating healthily and being active! Now I know why!, My periods are regular, the odd hic up but generally ok, heavy one month then really light the next, but now I get a mini period every couple of weeks, my hormones are all over the place though and my self esteem is rock bottom! I had depresseion at uni and I think I am a bit boarderline now. I am now absolutely paranoid about my hair thinning or falling out tho, so much so I am checking everyday. I have long, very thick, naturally curly hair which is my pride and joy. I really couldn't cope if that disappeared or started falling out. Does this happen a lot?
    Also I have had 5 smears come back "boarderline changes". Noone seems bothered (except me!) so I am having smears every 6 months. Is this related to PCOS?. My next one is Aug so if that comes back the same I will demand further investigations!
    I have my first gyne appointment in a couple of weeks. What should I expect? Will they give me drugs to help the hormones/ hairy man chin? Can I get lazer treatmnet on the NHS? What drugs are the best for the hairy face? I can cope with everything else but the hairy chin is getting me down (it stops me going out) & I really don't want my hair falling out.
    This sucks. I wish I had pushed it more when I was younger. It's so hard. My younger, model sister is getting married and here am I with a hairy chin, hormones all over the place and I am having dental treatment for florosis which will include having to wear a brace for a few weeks and a bleaching tray for 20 hours a day, I have poor eye sight, bad excema and am chubby. No wonder I am single. I am ugly betty. Could be worse I guess, but please god, not my hair!!
    I have read a few posts on PCOS so I know there are lots of us out there.
    Ho hum, back to dealing with the hairy chin!

3. Hi
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year. I take Diannette...this has cleared my skin, I have regular periods and reduced the unwanted hair...but also my hair was thinning before and it feels like it is getting slightly thicker again. My consultant is really nice and talks me through all the options. I could take extra drugs but not too keen on that and most of my symptoms have been addressed. The unwanted hair hopefully overtime will reduce further...giving it at least a year on the drugs before considering taking an additional one to combat the problem...I just use tweezers which is fine. Not sure if you can get laser treatement on the NHS, I'm also guessing it may not work long term unless your hormones are stabilized...things like having a baby in the future may see hair grow back...you would have to check this out...just what I have heard.
    I've found eating lots of good foods and nothing processed helps as well as drinking lots of water...I avoid caffiene and alcohol and try to regularly exercise which includes yoga/pilates for relaxation. I guess its about finding out what works for you.
    Good luck, I'm sure the hospital will be able to help and give you tips and the right drugs....this may take a while to find..I was lucky the first one I took was fine.

4. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

Obviously everyone's experience is different but if you are offered Dianette I would consider it very carefuly given the potential side-effects.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I too would advise against Dianette - for me, Metformin is the best drug.

I think your other questions have been answered?

6. i'm on metformin for weight and flutamide as a testosterone suppressant which works on the hair and the acne.
    i wouldn't go on the pill personally as the fake hormones hide the symptoms and don't let you see any changes in your condition until it's too late.
    can't answer about the smears though, sorry. not had that problem.