1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just been appointed as an NQT- Where do i start?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Ellzish, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I've just been appointed as a DT NQT and I feel sort of lost. Where do I start, what union should i sign up with? What books should I get? Do I need a teacher planner? Do i need to prepare resources?
    Ive got 2 induction days lined up and I'm super nervous..
    Any tips and ideas would be fab.
    xx

2. you'll need to talk to your mentor, but it will be your job to plan all your lessons, prepare your resources etc. You should have been in a union as a student, but if you were, just read up on them all then choose for yourself. You will be given a timetable so you will then need to look at the ages you're teaching, plan and differentiate the work and keep on top of marking etc.

3. I really don't want to come across as unhelpful and critical, but did your uni (or GTP school) not go over this with you during your training? Did nobody tell you at any stage of your training that you would have to plan lessons, prepare resources, mark homework etc etc? What were they teaching you?
    However...
    • if you were a member of a union at uni, stick with that one (unless the recent strikes have made you change your mind). Most unions give NQT membership free or at reduced cost.
    • Most teachers have planners (especially in Secondary), but they're not compulsory. Your school may have a spare they can give you (mine did) - otherwise get an academic year diary, and write holiday dates, all your lessons (including class name, classroom, and ability level) and topic being covered, even if you don't have room to write an outline lesson plan.
    • Textbooks for your subject are provided by the school, but most teachers have reference books about their own subject that they can refer to.
    • During your induction days, make sure you get your timetable, class lists, SEN information at the very minimum. Get a good look at your classroom and make a note of the desk plan. Make sure you meet your mentor, and establish how often you're going to meet.
    • Spend your holidays drawing up some seating plans for your classes. Prepare at least the first week of classes, so that you're not working till midnight on the first night.
    There's loads more, but this is probably enough to worry about for now! You'll find that most of it will fall into place, but use your mentor, and don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly they seem, and don't wait for your weekly/fortnightly meeting to do it. Make sure you go into the staffroom at lunchtime, however tempted you are to work in your classroom. You need a break, and the other staff need to know who you are!
    Being an NQT is very exciting - enjoy it, and good luck!

4. Oh, and don't forget that in Secondary, you're likely to be a Form Tutor as well. Get a form list (with photos if poss) and learn their names. Find out in advance what you'r expected to do during Form time.