1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just be glad you're not a teacher in Spain . . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Jan 1, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Apart from the general employment situation for Spanish teachers (you sit a competitive exam, and then according to your ranking, get allocated to a school anywhere within a radius of up to 4 hrs travel, on 10-month contracts for the first 6 or 7 years until you are allocated a permanent post), the recent anti-crisis measures have affected teachers pretty badly.
    In 2010 they had a 5% salary cut. Cut.
    Then last year a pay freeze, which is to be continued this year, it was announced on Thursday.
    Plus, any vacancies from teachers retiring or dying will only have a 10% replacement. The Regional Government will decide whether to replace the vacancies in your school with someone from its 10% replacement allowance.
    And then yesterday a final official anouncement - final, that is, until March, when the full Budget of anti-crisis measures will be announced.
    So yesterday it was announced that: there will be no contribution to pensions for any public employees (including hospital doctors, nurses, teachers, police, civil servants in general, etc.) for the whole of 2012.
    No pension contribution paid in on your behalf by your employer. In other words, your final pension will be cut.
    It is not yet known if teachers will be affected by another measure announced last week for public employees: an increase in working hours from 35 to 37.5 per week (or, if you choose not to, a 6.66% salary cut).
    Let's hope that the UK government doesn't get any ideas . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The idea of teachers doing a 35 hour week is pretty foreign anyway...

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Also be glad you are not a young person in Spain.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You think they have not thought about it already?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am glad that I am not a teacher in England let alone in Spain.

6. It puts the complaints of some teachers in the UK into perspective, doesn't it?
    I think the situation in the Republic of Ireland is similar and I dread to think what's happening in Greece.

7. How are teachers reacting to these changes?
    Are they accepting them because they feel they have no alternative or are they planning industrial action. What a shame for the education system in Spain?
    Is this all state schools in Spain - is there an alternative private education system?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know because at present I am here in sunny UK. But when there was the 5% pay cut, which was put into effect within two weeks of being announced, everyone mumbled and grumbled, a few people had a protest strike (it affected all public employees), but few if any schools were closed and people mainly sighed and shrugged their shoulders, realising that it had to be done.
    Yes, but private education is a bit different there from here. For a start, teachers prefer not to work there if they can get a state job, not for reasons of ideology or principle, but because in private schools (a) you can be sacked - which you cannot in state once you've got a permanent post allocated to you, (b) the hours are much much longer - Primaries state: 9-2. Primaries private: 9-5, and (c) the money is about 25% less.
    Certainly is in Spain!
    Primary school hours in state schools are 9-2, with a half hour break. Most teachers will get perhaps 3 or 4 non-teaching hours during that, although it varies between different areas, as the Regional Government decides the hours.
    However . . . the primary schools that I know, teachers turn up for start of day at any time between 8.55 and , oh, about 9.10 . . . After all, it takes the children ages to come in and take off their coats and get into the classroom. They then are off the premises, hand in pockets (i.e. not carrying anything) by 2 minutes past 2 at the latest. It is not unknown for teachers to also run a small arable farm in the afternoons.
    Well, not in big cities!
    Little or no preparation because all teaching is done from an official classbook for that year group, accompanied by a workbook (which is basically just worksheets all put together in a book). The only marking (apart from walking around classroom while children are working on their workbook) is for the End Of Unit Tests every 4 or 5 weeks.
    And you just set them something from the workbook while you mark it in class.
    :)
    Happy New Year
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

When I was a student in Florence several years ago I lodged with a family from the south. The father was a primary school teacher until 1.30pm each day. After lunch he ran a used car showroom.

10. Last year, Scottish Supply Teachers suffered a 47% pay cut. Cut.
    Unforgiveable.
    Not many people are aware of that, even including some Scottish teachers on permanent contracts.

11. smoothnewt

That is appalling! What explanation / justification was given?

12. It was a case of having a scape-goat/whipping boy (Supply teachers) or losing permanent jobs.As it is, even permanent pays and conditions are in jeapordy now, so...

13. SN - this was something actually voted in by other teachers in Scotland's biggest teachers' union, the EIS.. So much for solidarity.

14. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

So really, teachers in the public sector have little to complain about even when these cuts come into effect.

15. smoothnewt

Poor form indeed!
    [​IMG]

16. It wasn't. More people voted against than for. The people you want to blame are those who didn't bother their *** to vote and union leaders who were too scared to fight.

17. Really? How did it go through then? I assumed there must have been more 'yes' votes than 'no' votes for that to happen. It's happened now anyway, and it's just the start of worse to come, I suspect.

18. The vast majority of those who voted didnt want the Sell Out Deal but because of low turnout the EIS said it wasn't a strong enough mandate for strike. The results were very similar to the pensions ballot and yet that went to industrial action. The EIS urged members to support the deal in the second ballot, regardless of the fact that the deal affects all of us and not just supply teachers, and regardless of the fact that the promised jobs are short term temporary fillers, designed to push this deal through rather than any genuine commitment to keeping teacher numbers up.

19. Ok Airy, thanks for that.

Yes, I have one of those temporary contracts. My LA isn't even advertising permanent posts anymore.

20. I'm PMing you....