1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just applied for primary schools direct from September!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Allyruns28, May 5, 2018.

1. Allyruns28

Allyruns28 New commenter

Hello all,

I have just applied for schools direct route primary for September this year. Waiting for my references to come back and then I expect the training providers will receive my application. Does anyone know what the interviews involve? I've heard mixed things from teaching a class of kids to presentations about hobbies etc ?

I am quite scared but also excited about my decision. It's been quite a quick one (only thought about this all in March) but after having a few weeks in schools I have loved it and decided to take the plunge. Quite worried about the workload with assignments as well as being in the classroom, it will definitely test my resilience. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The selection process depends upon the school and the SCITT but expect at least to give some presentation and be observed in a trial lesson. You should also consider applying for PGCE via Universities as SD can be extremely competitive and there are by no means the number of places through this route that you would expect- given the marketing and publicity. Do consider the quality of the training the school will offer- how is it organised - is there off site training- how much mentor support. These are key concerns as there is substantial variation in the quality of these programmes

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Gremlin78

Gremlin78 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm starting SCITT (schools direct, salaried) in September. At my interview I had to do a short presentation, an interview and some level 6 SATS tests in maths and literacy. I didn't have to teach a short lesson, though I've heard that's common. I'm not sure if that's because I've been a TA for 4 years and am being supported by head teacher to go for the SCITT!
    For me, school direct works much better. This is my second career and I didn't want to go back and do the uni-based route. This route, I'm in school from day one which really appeals to me, so I feel part of a team. I'm only in another school for half a term in Spring. That's not to say I'm not terrified - I am!
    Good luck!

4. 112Theo

112Theo New commenter

Hi,

I’m starting Schools Direct Primary in September. I suggest that your preparation includes reading up on Safeguarding and the Teacher’s Standards in preparation for your interview. Think about your experiences in a classroom and show how you can reflect on this and other experiences. Make sure you are up to date with what is happening in schools and education currently. I had interview, tests and classroom activities, which I was given advance notice of so could prepare.

Good luck!

Theo

pepper5 likes this.