1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just another teacher having a moan, and in the hope for some advice.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by stumigoo, May 24, 2011.

1. I know these boards are full of teachers unhappy in their jobs, and I am going to add to that list! I suppose I am also looking for advice or any pearls of wisdom too.

After a really successful probationary year in Scotland, I was not kept on at my school much like many other teachers. I did however manage to secure a teaching role in another school within the authority, before moving in to my current position which is between two schools. Firstly the school I was in last year I totally loved. The staff, pupils and generally everything were all fantastic. One of the schools I am in this year I hate with a passion. The staff are unfriendly, and because I am only there half the week, I have never felt part of the school at all. Add to that I have two of the worst classes I have ever had, I do not enjoy going ot my work there. The other school is good, but I am only there for a short period of time covering a secondment.
    I was told last week that there is a position available for me in the council for the start of next year, which is good but its only another part time one, which means after the summer there is every chance I could be split between THREE schools (0.5, 0.3, 0.2). This is something I am dreading and to be honest the last year has been a bit of a joke. I got in to teaching to become part of a school and I have not been able to do that. I have searched far and wide for a position overseas, which is something I cannot stop thinking about doing, but with little luck. I am now considering taking a step back and just packing it all in and going to get a basic teaching english job overseas. I am deeply unhappy with my job at the moment, but on one side I am aware that if I stay I am in a secure, well paid, long term job, whereas if I jack it all in, I am not, and will potentially ruin my teaching career. I want to teach, but not like this.

2. If you're in a position to, I'd advise you to follow your heart and have the adventure teachig overseas. One way or another, teachers are always needed and coming back to teach in the UK at a future date may not be so bad.
    On the other hand, the temporary part-time shtick is a pain, but it pays the bills.
    As I see it, future work is going to be full of regular new starts for everyone...the notion of one place for life is receding fast. So getting used to new starts is no bad thing.
    There are choices, but only you have the answer.