1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just all too much?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Chica77, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

September is always a horrible, difficult time after the long Summer hols. Also, it's a long term and the half term seems so far away. This time last year I was about 6 weeks pregnant and in 2008 i got pregnant at the very start of term, so both those years those 7 or 8 weeks until half term were awful!
    When are you starting maternity leave? Just count down until that!
    Have you thought about applying for part time when you come back to work? I did and i went back 0.5 after my first, which was great as I still had loads of time to spend with my son. It had its drawbacks - no classroom of my own, all the bottom sets etc - but spending that extra time with my little boy made it worth it.
    I'm taking a year off with my daughter so I still have another 7 months left, and then i'll be back 0.5 again.

2. I know exactly where you're coming from... I'm 6 months with my second and I am beginning to feel that maternity leave and having my baby is something I'm slotting in around work!
    I'm shattered, dealing with a 2 year old and working full time and it's not easy!
    Already I've had plans for when I'm back LOL - I havent even left yet! LOL

I'd love to go back part time, but just couldn't afford it.

3. @eread1 SNAP! I'd love to go p/t too but ££ is the issue sadly. How long do you plan to take off? Do you finish up at Xmas? I'm due in March and plan to go back about 2 days before the end of the summer term so I get to meet my new class and sort out my room, planning etc - oh, and also the fact of being paid over the summer hols!
    Sorry, I really just had to vent about it all the other night but I am serious about looking for a job in another field. I used to think a 9-5 job would bore me but at the moment I think it''d suit me just fine. I want to give more time to my family although then most (all?) other jobs have less holidays so that'd be an issue. The pressure, stress and workload is bad enough at the best of times - as we all know - and at the moment it's just too much. No job should carry this much stress due to workload. It's not the actual planning and teaching - that's the part I still love and find the easiest - it's all the other **** that we have to do...layered targets, small-steps, pupil friendly targets, APP (grrrrrr!), pupil tracking and profiling, school development plan and on and on and on
    I once heard a saying that went something along the lines of.....
    No-one ever lies on their death-bed and says, "I wish I'd have worked more"

4. @chica77 - thanks for the encouragement:)
    I really wish I could afford to take a year off. I'm sure you'll cherish the next 7 months with your daughter. As I teach primary, the responsibiltiy of teaching one class all day every day is often onerous. Many friends who are p/t feel that 0.5 normally equates to way more than half due to expectations from HTs normally. I think you have to be strict not to get sucked into working on your days off??
    The thing is that I've felt this overburdeoned way for a while but I think my hormones and increasing bump are making it worse and harder to cope. As i said in another post, it's not the teaching with the kids but all the other bureaucracy and **** that we have to do that is suffocating me.
    I've got til Feb half term to wait for mat leave so still a while yet lol (i'm going to start a 'prison-cell -esque' tally chart haha

5. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I did this for the last 1/2 term of working whilst pregnant, little tally sticks on my whiteboard- my y3s asked what it was and I said I was sad about leaving them so it would help me enjoy the days I had left with them! It was satisfying to rub one off at the end of each day. That's without any other chn as it was my first pregnancy, I've been lucky enough to return to work 2 days a week and couldn't imagine teaching full time with a toddler + pregnant or toddler + newborn, hats off to anyone doing this. Yes the paperwork is suffocating, sympathies xx

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I teach secondary (languages) so it's different. I had a lot of shared classes, and taught a few classes out of subject area, so actually only about 3 classes were my full responsibility. I probably had pretty much half the marking i'd had full time. Planning was a bit harder I suppose as I had to liaise with whoever I shared a class with and make sure I knew where to go from, what the class had got up to, and then let the other teacher know what I had done, so on my days off I was still planning and in contact with the other teacher.
    If i went back before a year I would be paying child care for 2 so it would hardly be worth my while financially. When I do go back my son will be nearly 3 and then in the Sept eligible for his 15 free hours childcare, so I will have have 4 expensive months and then I will be much better off from the Sept.
    I will definitely cherish the next 7 months!
    I hope you'll enjoy your pregnancy despite the work stress. There's nothing like being pregnant for the first time! When you start maternity leave and have 4 weeks or whatever totally free it is amazing. You will never get that again! The 2nd time is totally different.

7. I'm due on Christmas day so intending on working until the end of term, although my daughter was 4 weeks early so that could be interesting!!!
    I'm hoping on staying off until the end of July and coming back for the last week, but if money doesn't work out, it may have to be June.
    My daughter came in February (was due in March) and I came back the same time as you did... it's not too bad, nice to have the summer hols afterwards.
    Congratulations by the way!