1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just accepted a post overseas? TES article

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by HelenBeckett01, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Has anyone recently decided to accept a teaching post overseas because they couldn't get a job in the UK? The TES Magazine would love to profile your experience in a forthcoming feature. Please contact Helen on helen.r.beckett@btinternet.com to share your story with other teachers.
    Thanks

2. Has anyone recently decided to accept a teaching post overseas because they couldn't get a job in the UK? The TES Magazine would love to profile your experience in a forthcoming feature. Please contact Helen on helen.r.beckett@btinternet.com to share your story with other teachers.
    Thanks

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

How about posting a TES E-Mail address?

Do you work for TES?

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You untrusting so-and-so bibbler...
    Just because someone doesn't use the email address of the company they claim to work for you presume there's something dodgy.
    BTW: I work for the bank of Nigeria and I need to send £2,453,989 to a prince in the UK. Unfortunately I can't simply send it directly it him. I am willing to pay £5000 to anyone willing to help with this transaction. Simply send you bank details, including PIN numbers, date of birth, etc, toBankofNigeria@gmail.com

5. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

OOK MM, I have seen you post on the Interweb so I know you are a real person.

Barclays Bank

AC 73293473459

Sort 39-29-18

PIN 3820

I am sure I can trust you, please nobody else read this.

6. 576

576 Established commenter

Is it just me or does this make it sound like it's easier to get a job overseas?!

7. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

It does sound like she has written the story already.

8. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Just as an example of the market out there from our own individual school:
    Eight positions, forty short-listed candidates from a total of 156 applicants. Wheat and a good bit of chaff, but to get on our short-list at all you need to be appointable.

9. MisterMaker

Which country are you in? Whilst these are not very impressive numbers for popular places like SE asia, there would be a large number for some places. Therefore, without knowing the country it is difficult to guage whether those figures are above or below normal. At the last count we had over 300 applicants (almost 500 expressions of interest) for our latest recruitment round, but we are in SE Asia and I expect more established schools would get even more than that.
    If your username name reflects your location, I'd say that could be a decent crop of applicants (without seeing the actual quality of those candidates - numbers are pretty meaningless without context)

10. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

These are generally average numbers for us - in the first round with 20 odd vacancies we had over 700 applications (not expressions of interest). I don't want to be specific about where we are, but the username does not reflect geographical location and we are an established school.

11. MisterMaker

You seem to have a very high turnover for an established school; 28 vacancies to fill in total in one year? or twenty altogether and you were unable to fill all the places from 700 applications?
    Again, without saying where you are giving your specific numbers doesn't add to the thread. 35 applications per post is very low for some places, especially if it includes the 'wheat and chaff'. On the other hand, if you are established, in a country with limited 'extra curricula' for teachers (like Kuwait![​IMG]) and known for low salaries, 35 to 1 would be a very high ratio.
    If these figures are 'around your normal', and that was the case for most overseas schools, it would suggest that there is no surge due to UK a being tough environment for jobs.
    Out of curiosity, do you consider folk sending a CV as an application or expression of interest? Do you use Application Forms? I only count AFs with letters / statements as full applications, as this cuts much of the 'wheat and chaff' you mentioned.

12. Hi happygreenfrog and everyone else who has contributed feedback to this thread, both on and off the forum. It will certainly help with the jobseeking article I'm putting together. Am freelance by the way, hence lack of TES email address.
    Best wishes, Helen

13. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Turnover varies from year to year. I also did not give an indication of the size of the school staff overall. Ratio of applications to open positions varies from subject to subject.
    I agree that we are not seeing a surge in applications overall, but I am (possibly subjectively) seeing a growth in established teachers wishing to leave their positions in the UK for overseas posts.
    We don't use application forms, but a letter and CV is always needed in response to a specific job posting. Otherwise they get a polite note back saying no thanks or we will hold if interesting for a possible future opening.