1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just a thank you to theo and others - I LOVE my new school!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sabrinakat, Sep 10, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Dear Theo,

I was going to pm you, but thought perhaps others could use the encouragement as they look for their next job.

I had a rough time last year at my last school (one year fixed term) and was very unhappy this time last year, but I stuck with it and learned loads - my colleagues were all lovely! I was treated as an NQT/GTP (informal) as I do not have a PGCE but other teaching and postgraduate qualifications and ultimately 'passed' probation, etc. I began applying for more permanent jobs this past February, sent out 11 applications (1 for a university post, 1 hired before the deadline (get them in early); shortlisted for 4 and delighted with being offered number 4.

It is a small girls' school; I am in charge of my subject and although I do have a bit of new school confusion about passwords and trying not to get lost, but as I was walking through the gardens back to my classroom this afternoon, I realised that I was HAPPY.

It is possible to find a good fit - trust Theo's advice and do that ES - while you may have to spend a few hours looking through the school websites and making sure that you like the school, it is possible!

best wishes and thanks

SK

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm delighted that things have worked out well for you, and wish you all the best for continuing success in your post.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Have a great term!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Great to hear from you sabrinakat and how much you're enjoying your new post.

Even when one is continuing in the same school one may have teething troubles at the start- we've changed the length and timings of lessons this year and experiencing such, but as you say when one is happy it's just easier to deal with them.

Yes, having a 'good fit' is often the key to that happiness. Wise words to people applying for or hoping to change post this coming year. And YES, do follow Theo's advice.

By the by sabrinakat-have you checked out the new beta site? I've sort of not checked this 'side of TES' for a bit -hence late reply.

5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck with your first term SK!

I too love my job. It has been so tough with so, so many problems but this week I realised that being a HT is fantastic and I am really enjoying this term!!

GOOD LUCK to all jobseekers this year. There is a job out there for you.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to hear things are continuing so well. Digory.

7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I think I need to learn to live with all the problems. They are never going to go away but the job is brilliant! I have lots of support and many fantastic role models.