1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just a quick question.....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by neebree1, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am looking at leaving the hustle and bustle of London to work in an International School, I am open to different countries and am spending time researching schools. I have been teaching Primary for 6 years and want a new challenge.
    However, some schools in the TES do not mention the pay they will be offering or if they offer a benefits package. Is this a negative thing? Is this a sensible question to ask at the interview stage? Can you email the school to ask what pay they are offering?
    I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I am looking at leaving the hustle and bustle of London to work in an International School, I am open to different countries and am spending time researching schools. I have been teaching Primary for 6 years and want a new challenge.
    However, some schools in the TES do not mention the pay they will be offering or if they offer a benefits package. Is this a negative thing? Is this a sensible question to ask at the interview stage? Can you email the school to ask what pay they are offering?
    I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.
    Thanks

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

<ol>[*]Think of a number, any number.[*]Multiply by 10[*]Divide by the cubed root of the inverse operator[*]Find the differential in the complex matrix[*]Conjugate twice[*]Take away 1</ol>Hope this is helpful. I use a similar methodology when working out the salary I will offer teachers.

4. It's not necessarily a negative thing if it's not in the advertisement.
    However if you're invited to interview, you need to have an idea of what's on offer before the interview.

5. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Schools often provide this detail at interview. But generally speaking you could expect
    a salary in USD/Euro/local cowrie shells, a housing allowance, airfare, medical insurance and gratuity. Good schools will make it an annual airfare allowance and have comprehensive medical insurance. Some schools cover dependents and provide free schooling for children. We would be happy to provide general information on our salaries to inquiries and we apply a sliding pay scale according to prior teaching experience.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I doubt it, said the Carpenter, and shed a bitter tear.
    Neebree: First of all, there is <u>no</u> standard salary scale among 'overseas' schools and benefits are similarly variable so it is essential to do your research.
    I would definitely ask questions of any school which was not up front about the package on offer. Yes, it may make them think you are mercenary but would you really want a) to work for an institution which was less than transparent on such an important issue b) to go to interview possibly at your own expense and then find out that the 'package' was a bag of salted nuts?
    Issues such as taxation and cost of living are just as important as gross salary.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Further to what M says, if you are going to spend out time, money and emotional energy to get to an interview, it is reasonable to expect to get a rough idea of salary and package.
    Once you have an offer of interview you could do some detective work on this forum to find someone in the know, even in general terms. PM them or put a general thread out if you dont fancy asking the school directly
    1 from Foneypharoah, Mainwairing, SMT Dude, Hippo and I could cover most geographical areas or at least point you in the right direction of someone who could.

8. I can think of some ex-colleagues for who/m(?) that would be generous.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

So can I. Have a look, for instance, at the reference I've just posted on the 'Non-responsive referees' thread.

10. Neebree, if you wish to have a just notion of the magnitude of this city, you must not be satisfied with seeing its great streets and squares, but must survey the innumerable little lanes and courts. It is not in the showy evolutions of buildings, but in the multiplicity of human habitations which are crowded together, that the wonderful immensity of London consists!

11. Thank you to everyone who replied. Will definetely email this potential school and ask them.

12. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

To the OP, just remeber when you are considereing overseas employment the salary is one item in the package but, with a few exceptions, you are not really going abroad for the money. In the Far East a &pound;1500 after tax salary (with acomodation provided) would give you a very comfortable life, and a standard of living above what you would be capable of having in the UK. All about the lower cost of living and the larger disposable income relative to home.