1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just a quick question about moving from UPS1 to UPS 2

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by becktonboy, May 13, 2009.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

That is the correct reading of the regulations, although some heads will try to tell you differently: they are wrong or deliberately trying to mislead.
    Having the word 'successful' appear in your Performance Management Review statement will be enormously helpful.

2. What if you haven't had any performance management?

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

In that case the school is breaking the law, it is a requirement of the 2006 regulations that they carry out PM and it is not your fault that the school has failed to gather the evidence needed to assess your suitability for progression - cause enough for a pay appeal if you are turned down and your head can explain to a panel of governors why the school is not meeting its responsibilities and how the decision could have been reached without the required evidence.....

4. A colleague of mine had this problem a few years ago, they were refused progression because of a lack of PM. They appealed to the govenors and had to provide a reference from the head of department that detailed what the teacher had done to contribute to raising attainment at a pupil, department and school level. Once this was done they were given their threshold.
    My understanding is that it is the responsibility of the school to provide you with the PM process, then it is then your responsibility to do it. The school must make provision for staff if adequate PM is not in place. I think it is quite rare these days for this to happen.