1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

just a quick one!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Faldamir12, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am interested in reading your responses to this particular query I have.
    On the last day of term I decided to do a quiz with my year 11 group and relevant games which they really enjoyed. I got an earful from them as I was told in one lesson they were watching Hangover 2 as if to justify watching a similar film. I have never seen the film before but understand the language is quite obscene.
    What is the general policy of allowing pupils to watch films of which they are of legal age? I take it showing the latest inbetweeners film (15) is clearly inappropriate, but where do you draw the line?

I am not advocating showing DVD's on the last day of term(s) etc, however what I am querying is what we can/can't show them even though they are of legal age.

Thanks.

2. You do what you are comfortable with. Hangover 2 isn't something I would be happy showing. I make my classes watch things like hitch hikers guide to the universe and willow!

3. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

But in the case of the above example sideshow, would that not be considered misconduct?!?!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

As a Cert 15, Hangover II is not considered inappropriate for y11: my class wanted to watch it and I said yes, but after the quiz and other bits and pieces, their viewing time was reduced to about 40 mins.
    In that time I heard a few f words, but did not generally disapprove of the film: I didn't see the end, but it seemed to be pretty mindless but inoffensive.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

To be honest if I do show a dvd - and I would rather teach them really - I tend to stick to PG ones as even with Year 11 the sex/violence/language in the15s films make me feel uncomfortable.
    I would far rather the SLT banned the showing of dvds at the end of term and then enforced it with everyone.
    If I were thinking of showing them a 12 or 15 I would be sure to watch it first, and with the 15s I have always subsequently decided not to show it.

6. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Whatever age rating a film has, it is not legal to show one in class (copyright issues), though this law is frequently broken...

7. I only show a 15 if it is relevant to what were doing like after Christmas im watching A Short Stay in Switzerland with my yr11's for the media aspect of Matters of Life and Death in RE.
    I rarely show DVD's over a 12 even with 6th form for fun as I don't think they are appropriate and only encourages them to use language like that and mine need no encouragement!

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Unless your school has a PVSL - which I think they are all encouraged to do, even if the dvds are for instruction rather than entertainment.

9. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I don't tend to show DVDs end of term. In class, however, my department are fairly relaxed about age certification, etc - and we surely aren't the only school who study Macbeth in Year 9 and use the Polanski DVD (a 15) to support it.

edit - obviously this is just for educational benefit. For 'fun' stuff I don't even let the kids direct me to a Youtube video as I'm paranoid it will have sex or swearing!

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My school has no licence to show films.
    This is good, saves hassle.
    I fail to see the point of showing the children the first part of any film.
    P