1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just a quick moan ...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dc521, May 2, 2019.

1. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Apparently, asking a child to tuck their shirt in is grounds for a parent to ring up the school, demand to speak to you and shout down the phone at you.

I'm clearly at fault.

Juliet6079 and RGJM2012 like this.
  2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I don't think you fully addressed the child's anxiety issues. Having the shirt untucked was clearly a cry for help, which you, I am afraid, missed entirely.

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

The delicate little flower has been seriously traumatised by your request and may never fully recover. You failed to grasp the ultra-specialness of this child, and how the requirements of a tidy attire followed by every other pupil in the school could never, ever, apply to them. The harm to their ego, feelings, intellect, social standing, future career prospects and desirability to the opposite sex, have been trodden underfoot and destroyed by your callous and soul-destroying utterances. Their child's future has been ruined. You should be vilified in the press and have dogs bark at your shadow.

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Perhaps you didn't take into account the individuality of the pupil and their right to freedom of expression. It is probably a human rights issue here.:rolleyes:

Is your uniform policy gender neutral?:oops:

Did the parent threaten to contact their MP?:eek:

5. Mkssbelton89

Mkssbelton89 New commenter

I feel your pain . I was told to **** off by a boy earlier this week when I told him to hold on 30 minutes to go for a wee x

6. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

I worry about the future of this country ha

SwalecliffeLC likes this.
  7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It is better to take no notice of that because it is just rudeness on the parent's part. I feel that if you blow it up, it will only make it worse. Ignore it and think of the good things about the day, ha ha

8. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Thank goodness retirement is on the horizon. For heavens sake. I’m so sorry you’re at the receiving end of this and so glad I’m not. Three things I don’t like about teaching: parents, reports and parents.

9. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

We had so many (breathtakingly ludicrous) complaints from helicopter parents this week that it was like a scene from Apocalypse Now.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've had a complaint before because a child was asked why they were wearing trainers. It was a reasonable enough request for information, not accompanied by any kind of reprimand, just a question to establish why.

Parent was furious that I had dared to question their child about it and that I should have phoned the parent if I had a problem with what Susie was wearing to school. As a result of my thoughtless cruelty Susie would now not be returning to school for the rest of the week as she was too upset to come in.

I should point out that Susie was 12 at the time (year 8, top year group in middle school) and the reason for her wearing trainers was that she had left her shoes in her school locker the day before because she had had PE last lesson. She had forgotten to change on arrival at school, hence my asking her in form time when she could easily have zipped out to her locker and changed them.

This was about 14 years ago, but it has stuck in my mind as one of the most ridiculous incidents I've encountered.

ViolaClef and digoryvenn like this.
  11. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I had a very similar complaint over a child wearing shorts instead of trousers!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. beauleyloo

beauleyloo New commenter

Or being asked to take hands out of pockets walking into assembly.....

digoryvenn likes this.