1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just a musing - re cycles

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lilachardy, May 25, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Not ever so much.
    If it's between 21 and 35 days, you almost certainly ovulate, so therefore you can get pregnant.
    It just means it's harder to know when you'll ovulate.

2. thanks for reply..... yes it is harder to plan!! I use a calander for the cycle thats just been but as I dont know the proper length of my LP i wondered why I bothered with a calander so ive kind of given up. I have a CBFM to use at a later date....

3. I've never had regular cycles. The shortest was about 25 days and the longest was 37 days. I fell pregnant on the 3rd month - you just have to dtd for a longer range of days to cover your bases so to speak!
    Good luck!

4. I had very random cycles since coming off the pill due to PCO. Some cycles were really long. I then had 2 normal ish ones, one of which I fell PG on. Took 7 months overall to conceive but I think in that time I had 4 periods, one of which was a withdrawal bleed.

I did have EWCM in the last 2 cycles but never charted at all as I felt there was little point for me.

HTHs

5. I also had very strange cycles when I stopped taking the pill. Stopped in October and had a withdrawl bleed then didn't have AF until chrsitmas day. This lasted 3 days (very short) and then I found out I was 3 weeks pregnant in mid February.
    I couldn't track anything becasue I had nothing to go with but I still managed to get pregnant. I agree with the poster who said do it lots to cover all of your bases! Good luck.

6. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Yes! My cycles varied between about 35 and 120 days (can't remember now) when I came off the pill and started ttc. I have polycystic ovaries and managed to conceive against the odds, naturally, by carrying on 'trying' every few days as it was impossible to pinpoint ovulation. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I found out I was pregnant and still think my LO is a miracle! She's now 5 1/2 months and a little poppet. It took us nearly a year but it's all so unpredictable when your cycles are all over the place... some women with PO don't have a pariod for months and months which reduces your chances of falling pregnant, but it can happen. Good luck x

7. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

It makes me laugh when people say I planned it really well to get a good deal re: maternity leave etc (I'm 'going back' 1st day of summer hols then actually going back in September). There was no planning- we just got lucky and wouldn't have cared when she was born! Or when they say it's unfortunate that her birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas- like I care!
    Our dilemma now is when to try for baby #2, I think in about a year from now I'll start trying in case it takes ages and we need fertility treatment, as we were about to start Clomid when we conceived. I just feel very lucky to have my little girl.

8. [
    I didn't realise this. That's really amazing for you and hope you are able to conceive naturally with babykittens II.

9. Obviously it helps to have perfect cycles to know when to dtd, however, when my mum had me, her last period was in the February. Using this to calculate her due date menas I should have been born November time. I was born in April!
    So I guess thats a no!

10. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I hadn't been on the pill in over 5 years - I'd had a non-hormonal coil fitted which doesn't affect your cycles or fertility at all. My periods have always been irregular - occasionally 28 days, usually 35 days-ish, sometimes as much as 47 days, with anything inbetween not a surprise! I dtd minimum every other day from the day my AF finished to the day I got a BFP! I was exhausted - my hubby even more so - and I know how blooming lucky I was to fall in the first month. But I would say that having irregular cycles might make it harder to know when to dtd, but as long as you are ovulating then there's no reason at all why it makes it harder to fall preg! From my (rather limited) experience anyway!

11. thanks for the replies. Havent popped on for a while so sorry for my late reply.
    I'm very lucky that my cycles are not extreme, I just dont know when I'm ovulating. I can get a line on an OPK but have learned that can mean nowt, only that I have obvious hcg levels.
    dates seems to be going backwards too.... started at 28, now down to 23..

12. Hi,
    My cycles were between 26-50! thought I was pregnant when I still hadn't had a period at day 50! I conceived 2nd month of trying but I did track it using the temperature method. I found the clearblue fertility monitor useless in my case because my cycles were so long. I downloaded a sheet from the internet and basically took my temperature everyday before I got out of bed and plotted it on a graph. Simple, cheap and very effective! In fact I only tracked half a cycle and it was so obvious the day I ovulated. Hope this helps.
    Claire x