1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just a little bit sad

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Oct 13, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Today I sold my bolt-hole in rural Norfolk. It's been a haven of peace and quiet - and distance - from the madness of teaching (and the family) for years, and was bought with money my parents left me. Longer and longer hours, holidays eaten up with schoolwork, and the sheer mileage have made it uneconomic to keep as I simply wasn't using it as often as I wanted, and when I did get over there the time was spent on maintenance, rather than having a proper break.

Now I have more time but I have less money to spend on it (the downside of working in the third sector). And none of my teacher friends ever wanted to use it: "Norfolk?? It's awfully flat"; "No thanks, we're going to Iceland" etc.

So head ruled over heart in the end. Financially I will be better off - what with site fees, standing charges and council tax etc., but on the other hand it did represent not only an escape from the every day, but was a space where I could do whatever and exactly what I pleased. Beautiful in the summer; freezing in the autumn and spring - but mine, and so peaceful! I am going to have to find other ways of accessing what it's given me for the last decade or so.

solvacrime and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

:(

would a nice picture help?

rainbow kitten.jpg kitten.jpeg

solvacrime likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That must be so hard to relinquish that 'bolt-hole'. I know your sensible head may say it's economic sense but I understand the wrench it must be.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It is sad, monica. I have a bolt-hole in the countryside and it gives me immense pleasure in good weather.

solvacrime and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah Norfolk is grand... yeah sure its a bit flat but not everywhere can be the Lakes.

Ah the Lakes ... *drool*

solvacrime likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Can you put the extra money towards alternative bolt holes?

solvacrime and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Oh, that would make me really sad. I'd love to have a "bolt-hole".

solvacrime likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, you can have weekend breaks?

Have fun choosing some nice B&Bs????

solvacrime and needabreak like this.
  9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Can you invest some of the profit into a camper van? We are looking into getting one so we can get away regularly.

solvacrime likes this.
  10. monicabilongame

It's been really wonderful and has probably saved my sanity at times. I have thought about a camper van but they depreciate in value and then again, I'd have to put up with the eye-rolling of Mr Bilongame if I suggest it now. I shall have to wait and see really - didn't get as much as I wanted for it, nor what it was really worth, but prices are not rising and site and maintenance costs, plus all the other expenses involved meant it was becoming a bit of a concern (property not getting any younger!).

Perhaps I shall just have to save up hard and use the spare dosh on REALLY LUSH hotels every now and again, and use my garden shed for dancing to Queen in (koff koff).

solvacrime, kibosh and coffeekid like this.
  11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Monica, I sympathise. Caper vans [real typo but I like it so I'll leave it!] gives you mobility but I notice you like escaping from the family from time to time, so I can't see them as bolt holes. No, a bolt hole is a place to hide away in, sometimes on your own. It's a place in which you can chat to yourself and remember that, gently handled, you can be your own best friend when left to your own devices.

I hope you soon find something to take its place.

solvacrime likes this.
  12. monicabilongame

YES! (now feeling a bit tearful cos that's exactly what it is..... so back later! :) )

solvacrime likes this.
  13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh dear - I'm sorry I upset you. xxx

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't think it was just you inky. we probably all contributed- instead of helping we've probably just re-enforced the sadness.
    Look after yourself monicabilongame!

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was immensely disappointed by the lakes a few summers ago. It rained, rained and rained some more. I live in the north-east of Scotland, therefore I'm used to the rain but that was something else! Plus, on the rare days that it was not raining, I could not figure out how to access the lakes for a swim. It was all private access. I was not impressed.

PS: I'd love a bold - hole too.

16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yeah - it rained when I went there too! P*ssed down relentlessly.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We've never been that near to pack up bags and come back home early! It did get better in the last few days but then we got the "access" problem. Give me Loch Morlich any day.

kibosh likes this.
  18. monicabilongame

You didn't upset me Inky - it's just that you understood. It was, I also realise, a little bit of my parents in a way, given that they made it possible to have it in the first place.

I'll survive.

solvacrime likes this.
  19. monicabilongame

time share? Only trouble would be that all the teachers would want it at the same time.

solvacrime likes this.
  20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

What about a posh woman cave in the garden? Heating, soft furnishings, TV, lighting, the wherewithal to do food- even a bed if necessary. No travelling expenses, just you and your hobbies and 'me' time.

solvacrime and needabreak like this.