1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just a 'happy mothers day' would be nice..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daffodilval, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Love my kids to bits but when it comes to mothers day/ my birthday, they can be so not bothered.
    Eldest in Philippines, ok so its not mothers day out there, but a quick Google would tell her when UK mother day is..
    Middle one lives not far away, had a txt off her asking me over for lunch, no 'card or 'happy mothers day mum'..
    Son lives at home (and isworking), he hand picked 5, nearly dead, daffs yesyerday and gave them to me...no card ar wish today...
    Am I just being over sensitive? Am looking around me right now and not one card off my 3 kids.
    Sorry, just feeling very sorry for myself...[​IMG]

2. Oh no! I must admit I was miffed this morning when I went to the gym (attached to a hotel) and the restaurant was full of women clutching huge bouquets and sipping sparkling wine.
    However it transpired that Son2, who will not, ever, for any reason, buy a card for someone he sees every day and could say it to instead, had gifted me some albums I'd mentioned in passing from iTunes, so he lives another day.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Some people value cards in different ways.

Personally, I see little point.

4. Just a verbal wish would have sufficed..but hey ho...
    My elderly mum is in hospital, I rang her on her mobile and will be taking gifts and a card later, If she was home it would have been the same..Maybe its just todays generation..

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'd be p'd off too. Son's effort is beyond poor. Cheer up at least your seeing one for lunch, that's nice. Spoke to son 1 today and grandaughter said "Ayo ganma" - aaaaah. First time for me. Spoke to son 2 and he made all the right noises too. Also spoke to my mum and she liked the pretty notelets and writing paper I'd sent - can't believe it, I've actually done the right thing for once. So all in all it's been a good morning.
    Give yourself a treat if they won't - you definitely deserve it.

6. Wouldn't you have thought? I asked my son what time he was doing the roast for and he looked faintly baffled and said "I cooked Sunday dinner last week." It's Mothers' Day. I just kinda presumed......

7. No, you are not being over-sensitive Daff.
    OK, so I don't believe in emotional blackmail, but hell's teeth, most mothers devote the best years of their life to raising their children. It's hard work.
    I know Mother's Day exists now to make money for Hallmark and flower-growers everywhere (extortionate prices!) but a decent gesture towards your Mum on what is the designated 'special' day doesn't take much effort. OK so all days should be special days...but today is THE one and I believe you should expect 'some' effort to be made. Dead daffs just don't cut it...
    They didn't try very hard, did they? I can understand your feelings.
    I am feeling a bit of a sucker. Number one son has been great. Hot-footed it back from his girlfriend's early this morning with a card and to cook me breakfast. He then mowed the grass, front and back, and cut down two huge shrubs, chopped up the branches and burnt the debris. He did say his gift would be any gardening I wanted him to do, and that's fair enough. He's been a star. I've let the other two off in a way. Daughter is working and offered to pop into man's house later...(I go over to him every Sunday pm/evening) but I said.."Oh no,don't worry, you'll be tired..." (and she will be) and number two son stayed at his girlfriends but phoned. He offered to come home but I said "Oh, it's OK, don't worry..."
    I suppose part of me feels they shouldn't have offered any excuses, but in truth, I don't really mind. At least they are thinking of me. I told them weeks ago not to buy me flowers or chocolates but to club together for a fence panel for me. (I think that's what they've done but as usual daughter had to co-ordinate the effort/go and visit B&Q.) We'll see. I know they care...but I do make life easy for them (even though they are adults now) and perhaps I should demand more of them/do more foot-stamping. Nah...it's not in me.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That is excellent of the cat. I mentioned to my husband that I was looking forward to seeing what the dogs got for me but he ignored the hint. One of them lay down in a patch of wee and had to be shampooed - that was my mothers' day treat from him!

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Daughter phoned last night to say she had bought the card but forgotten to post it.
    Youngest two slunk looked at each other in horror and slunk off to the Spar late last night after I reminded them we were going to my parents' house for drinks today and made a big show of writing out the card for my mother.
    Eldest son rang to speak to youngest at about 3.30 pm - just before he rang off, I heard youngest say "Don't you want to speak to Mummy?" followed by "You know...it's Mothers' day!"
    So I did get one card out of my 4 offspring!
    Is it me, or have others found that it's not just your children who wish you Happy Mothers Day these days? Several of my siblings rang, and my sister, who doesn't have children of her own, took me out to lunch. In the restaurant, staff and other diners wished me Happy Mothers Day too..it's nice to know that just being a mother is appreciated by others, even if your children do forget!!

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Oops, that wasn't meant to be a double slunk!

11. No. My sister rang me. She knew it was not Mother's day here and she knew I would be down because of Mum.
    And she knew I would have rung her, had she not rung first, to wish her Happy Mother's day, as she is a mother.
    I also rang my Grandma, to wish her Happy Mother's Day too. She isn't my mother, but she is a mother and was my Mum's mother.

12. Daff I would 'forget' to get them a birthday present/card as a taste of their own medicine. then again I am a sucker for revenge!

13. Part of me thinks that it is silly to make a fuss about the fact that my children all appear to have forgotten, and I know it is wildly commercial etc., but it matters to me. I don't expect lavish displays but a call or even a text would be nice. I'm feeling a little low at the moment and I know it is daft but.... Mind you, seeing that I was a bit down, the dog and cat pooled their pocket money and gave me a bunch of tulips and a book token! I didn't even see them slip into town!

14. Does this have anything to do with how its presented by their father? My husband never made anything of Mothers' Day with his mother and never suggested to our kids that it was anything to make a big deal out of. If they have no money and no idea they need another adult to take the lead and it can hardly be their mother, can it!
    I'm pretty sure that most of the flower-laden tables at the gym this morning were the work of the husband rather than the chilren.

15. I think it has a lot to do with the father lily. My husband didn't make much of his mother at any time let alone Mother's day, and I suppose the boys have followed his lead. Serve me right for not putting them straight years ago. Mind you, there was always a card when they were at primary school (thank you teachers).
    Shame they grew up! I don't really mean that......

16. Do mothers think about Father's day?
    I have always made sure that day was recognised too.
    So my ex remembers Mother's day now (never used to, took a lot of training).

17. I am glad that most Mums had a good day yesterday. I was one of the lucky ones. My 6'8" son gave me a huge hug and told me how much he loved me that I was the most fantastic Mum, mad but fantastic, then he gave me a card"To my mad mum!!" and a bottle of wine,

My daughter and son-in-law came round and made a delicious Thai curry, I wasn't allowed to lift a finger. Her card was very flowery and gushing.

I do count my blessings, it was a lovely day but my children are always very loving towards me and my husband.

18. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

[​IMG]

19. ICK indeed but true!!

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

(((Chica))) I hope you have had something today to make up for it xx