1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jury service

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by rbee1, Aug 31, 2020.

1. rbee1

rbee1 New commenter

I know I’m a bit in advance but want to try and get ahead!

I’ve been called for jury service the first 2 weeks of term in January 2020.
    Will I be asked to provide planning and need to mark the work completed?

From what I understand if you don’t teach the lesson, you shouldn’t mark the work

Any advice is welcome :)
    Thank you!

2. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

It depends on your school. You may want to plan anyway so that you will more or less know where to start from when you go back. I don't think you will be expected to mark as you won't be in school.

Morninglover likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

From experience of two lots of jury service, you may have a lot of time on your hands, indeed you may be sent home with no trial to attend on one or more days. I wasn't selected for trial on three days, being sent home before lunch on the first day and not needing to attend at all for the next two. Another trial slated for three days collapsed on the first day because of tainted evidence - jury sent home. Then you can be sent out of court while the judge hears legal arguments. It's not predictable but you have a fair chance of being able to do some marking/preparation/planning (or of course reading, knitting or snoozing, to taste) while you are waiting. However there may be restrictions on what devices you can bring to the waiting areas, and on security, so it may all be pen-and-paper. Worth phoning the court for guidance in advance - my experience was that the staff were very helpful.

Morninglover likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There is certainly no rule that says that you should not mark work if you didn't teach the lesson. Assuming that your school are paying you while you are on jury service (believe it or not, they don't have to) then is seems reasonable for you to do some work. As pointed out above, there will probably be times when you have nothing to do. But I think that it should not involve you working any more hours than you would if you were at school.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Do you have a DeLorean? I take it you mean January 2021!
    When I was a headteacher and I had staff members go onto jury service, I always set the expectation that the teacher doing JS will plan the work, and the covering teacher will mark the work. If the cover teacher did not mark the work, it would mean added workload for the teacher upon return. Also, with Jury Service, if you are asked to be part of a long running trial, you’ll probably be asked to stay on it until the trial has concluded. I did Jury Service back in 2003 and initially I was asked for two weeks, ended up lasting 4 weeks because of a trial! Can’t go into information what it was about (obviously).

6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I was summoned for jury service recently. Wasn't thrilled in the current circumstances but I was ready to go.A week before it was due to start I was contacted by the court and asked to complete a questionaire.It related to how I would travel, I would have used public transport. Two days later I got a letter telling me I was excused. I know 3 people this has happened to recently.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It's standard practice to summon more than are needed in order to cover for those unable to serve.

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

So, if you don't want to serve when called, maybe say you'll be using public transport! ;)