1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jury service

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by chemistry2111, Oct 4, 2007.

1. I have been called for jury service and wondered if anyone could give me any advice?
    I've been told that my school will not pay me for the two weeks even though the courts will not pay the full amount I would have earnt. Is this right that I should lose out financially?
    Also is it then my reponsibility to provide cover work for the two weeks I am not being paid? and do I have to go in to work unpaid if the courts don't need me? as I understand sometimes they send you home if they don't need you every day. Can't seem to get any answers from work or courts service.

2. I have been called for jury service and wondered if anyone could give me any advice?
    I've been told that my school will not pay me for the two weeks even though the courts will not pay the full amount I would have earnt. Is this right that I should lose out financially?
    Also is it then my reponsibility to provide cover work for the two weeks I am not being paid? and do I have to go in to work unpaid if the courts don't need me? as I understand sometimes they send you home if they don't need you every day. Can't seem to get any answers from work or courts service.

3. The O/H is just about to start her Jury Service. Apparently she has been told that the money from the courts service she gets will match her pay as it is not taxable, or something. She has spoken to other colleagues who have do JS recently and some have even said they came out a bit in pocket. Don't know if this is much help. I'm sure there are posters who have been through JS who will have advice.

4. erm

erm

No you should not lose out financially! Equally, you can not gain either.

Just be glad it's not in the holidays. Last year dh had to do 2 weeks in August, so pay wasn't an issue; the courts didn't have to pay and dh got his regular pay. But he lost his holiday. We, *we* lost *our* holiday you could say. Some time off in lieu would have been nice, but everyone just laughed as that would have been considered a gain. Obviously our time off has no value. Can you imagine anyone else having to use up their holiday to do jury service?

5. frustum

frustum Established commenter

The self-employed?

I know of one teacher who deferred jury service on the grounds that the HoD was off ill at the time. Then he ended up doing it in August. That's really rotten.

6. I'm almost certain that here in N Ireland teachers are among those exempt from jury service!

7. erm

erm

Ah, yes of course, frustum. I guess the self-employed miss out on a lot of protection that the employed enjoy. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

I guess the August slot for those who defer is quite common then, as that's what happened to my dh too. He deferred because the first slot was October half term plus one week and we had a holiday booked already. (Although even if we hadn't, I reckon this would actually have been worse than August anyway... working the whole of the Autumn term with no break, plus sorting out a week's worth of cover...)

When you defer you can tell them which dates you can't do for the next year, so dh blocked out the three half terms, assumed he wouldn't get called over Christmas and assumed that if he got called over Easter or summer, he would either get paid or time off in lieu.

I have to confess that he was actually happy that it landed in summer as it was less disruptive to his classes. But then this is the man who when called from the maternity hospital to be told I was in labour, insisted that I could wait until lunch time as nothing would happen before that and he didn't want to miss his next class!

8. The self employed can refuse if they can demonstrate that it would cause irretrievable financial detriment. A friend of my father was in such a situation and he was excused.

9. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

Colleagues have had to do. Pay roll sorted it, was hassle but they got the same salary. It does depend how good pay roll are. I think they 'subsidised' lost pay til they claimed it from the Court.

Colleagues had to plan and resource all lessons- huge packs of work. They also had to come into work if not called for court on a particular day/ case. Thus extra travelling from Court to work. Some went into own class, some covered others as theirs was all sorted. Argument for coming in, was Court wouldn't pay if not selected.

To be honest, I dread the day I'm called. If my salary was messed up I'd be unable to meet bills on time and the workload in preparation and the mess I'd pick up from supply after (messy room, unmarked work, bad behaviour, resources lost) would be immense. I personally would do or say anything to get out of it. I would prefer to defer to my holidays and probably would try to request this. I'm not sure if this possible.

Parents have just complained about me being out on a 2 day course with the same supply in, am sure they'd love Jury Service!!

10. Thanks everyone, have already defered once as they origionally called me when I had a holiday booked in August. Explained on my application that i was a teacher so they could try to fit me in during a school hol but no such luck. Thanks for setting my mind at rest over pay as it can be a struggle to pay bills without losing out. Hope also my classes don't suffer too much with disruption.