1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

juno?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, Jan 3, 2012.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Does anyone use this for gcse, looking at abortion/adoption? I am thinking of ordering it but haven't seen it. it is a 15 & I wonder if it will be appropriate for year 10, with parental permission. Any thoughts please?

2. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

A lot of it isn't useful but the 3-4 minute clip where she goes to the abortion clinic is brilliant, as a classmate is campaigning outside and tells Juno that her foetus already has fingernails and when she goes inside all she can see are fingernails. It also paints the abortion clinic as really seedy,which can promote some good discussion. As a discussion of adoption it is very useful (and SUCH a good film, I couldn't recommend it enough), there are a few clips which would be useful. I would recommend it on the whole, definitely.

3. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks very much jerseyperson - will def have a look at it. So annoying that only half of my y10 are 15 which leads to letters home etc! Wish film boards would start using year groups instead!

4. I show clips from 15s to year 10 (and sometimes year 9, depending on clip). The film classification doesn't appy to schools, and applies to the film as a whole.

5. Brummy Boy

Brummy Boy New commenter

I am a big fan of this film as it goes through the adoption process in the US. Always nice to introduce young people to a third option beyond abortion or keeping the child. I tend to show it to Year 10 and 11.

6. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks both - have ordered it. Just started AQA where adoption is part of the syllabus - never done it before in this way - so yes, think this should be a good discussion prompt and useful in comparing the UK/USA system.

7. Hi, just to let you know the film is a 12 certificate (it is the extras that make it a 15).

8. Another film I use for this topic is 'Saved!'- again it's a fifteen but poosibly has more of use than Juno if you are studying Christianity.
    Set in a Christian high school in America a girl finds out that her boyfriend thinks he is gay so she tries to save him by having sex with him- a vision of Jesus told her to!
    She gets prgenant whilst he get sent to a correctional facility.
    Film continues and explores various religious views on abortion, adoption and discription.

9. pete14

pete14 New commenter

I guess you don't show them this bit - not just because of the sex but it gives a distorted view of Christianity if she thinks Jesus told her to have sex with him to save him from being gay! Although it would provoke discussion, it might not go in the direction you want it to.

10. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

I have to say that Saved provides a pretty skewed vision of Christianity and I wouldn't use it for this topic. It's such a great film to discuss how Christianity is often portrayed in the media etc but it is really a parody in many ways and was never intended to accurately portray how Christians deal with serious issues.

11. We use the film in a number of ways over a half term, but yes I agree one of the most useful aspects is that it introduces the plurality of Christian views that can exist on a topic.
    Although the film begins with Fundamental views, the ones that are overiding by the end are fairly Liberal and explain the messages of Agape compassion well.
    The part when Mary believes Jesus appears to her and the 'distorted' message she recieves also leads nicely into work on interpretation.
    I agree that although the film may not be factually accurate it provides a highly useful stimulas on important issues.

12. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Would this clip of the abortion clinic be appropriate for Year 9 (we do the GCSE in Year 9)?