1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Junior Bake Off!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BertieBassett2, Nov 9, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

What an absolutely delightful programme! The children are charming and very resilient - more so than their adult counterparts, I think. I’ve only watched two episodes but they’re stacking up so may have a binge of it tonight.
    Harry Hill does an admirable job as the avuncular host and Prue and Liam make a satisfying double act. If you like the grown up Bake Off, I recommend the junior version. Maybe I’m a bit sentimental but I can’t resist well behaved and endearing children! Oh - and they know how to bake! Just one criticism- I think the age range is a bit wide - 9 to 15.

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I have been watching this with my kid too and yes, enjoying it, despite the care taken to select mostly only very precocious children. We've especially enjoyed the fact that Junior Bake Off judges will blithely sample the stuff even when it's fallen sticky side down on the floor; for me, that makes it ok that they only have posh kids on the show.
    I also really enjoyed the kid who kept dropping the rolling pin-funny! And the kid who missed out most of the ingredients-hilarious!

However, Harry Hill should not be invited back for the next series. He is creepy, self involved, and does not demonstrate a rapport with children generally, making far too many jokes about "balls", "nuts" and "wobbling like it is drunk". It's a kids show fgs!
    If you watch closely when he's on screen, you can see each of the children try to edge away from him, and none of them willing to give eye contact, and that is post edit. He tries far too hard, and his attempts at slapstick are contrived, formulaic and me.me.me.
    In fact, shall I tell you how I much I have grown to dislike Harry Hill as presenter of Junior Bake Off? This is how much-**lowers voice to whisper**- he makes me wish we could have Gegg Wallace instead.
    That's how much.

Series 3 was much better.

Edit-The kids cited above as "well behaved and endearing" are "precocious and posh" to me...amusing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019