1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

June 30th

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Jun 23, 2011.

1. All the teachers are on strike on June 30th. One teacher has said that she has a lot of work for us TAs to complete that day as we are all working and the school will be closed. What work are you going to be given? What work should we do?

2. I don't know if my school is open or not yet. My union (Unison) say that I should not cover classes for a striking colleague. Apart from that, I think it is up to the HT.

3. About half of our classes are being cancelled on that day so TAs will be doubling up in the classrooms that are still running.

4. At our school, the TAs whose class teachers are striking have been told they are not to do any work that would support any of the teachers roles including preparing their OWN resourses! They have, however, been told it's OK to tidy out the stock cupboard, DT room etc (But isn't that supprting the teachers, alebit indirectly?) [​IMG]

5. Our school are closed apart from one year who were already booked and confirmed on a school trip that day. So now they are throwing as many TA's and non striking teachers at the school trip. But no overtime paid so if like me your contract is 10 hours a week (afternoons only) you wont be paid for the morning part. Have said will sleep on it and let them know Monday. But it's either that or helping to "clear up the school" for the end of term...

Advice please.
    [​IMG]

6. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Sounds like you will be helping to tidy up for the end of term then. Lots of TAs will be doing this and I can't see anything wrong with it. We cannot support children if they are not at school, so preparation or tidying is the obvious thing .
    Me..... I shall be doing some ICT work updating the network and school website and welcome the time to get things done.